• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISP v MS Outlook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISP v MS Outlook

My ISP had some problems with the server hosting my email account at the end of last week - sorted out over the weekend and I can get emails.

However.....there seems to be some disruption.

1) The DSL line is fine since I have a second laptop on there and I am connecting OK

2) PC #1 is connecting ok - I am using it to write this!

3) I can "see" my emails using their web interface into their server.

4) When I try and pull my emails using Outlook I don't get a sausage. I have deleted the accounts and re-entered them but still doesnt work.

5) When I test the account settings. It finds both the incoming and outgoing servers OK, send a test email OK but cant seem to logon to the incoming server (despite re-entering several times the fields the error message gives).

What can I try next? Do I need to re-install Outlook....?!

TIA.

Is it GMail or Yahoo?

If so, you have to 'turn on' the feature which allows email clients to download the emails.

In GMail it is somewhere in the settings tab.

In Yahoo, you have to agree to receive their email newsletter which then activates this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
      What can I try next? Do I need to re-install Outlook....?!
      TIA.
      sounds like they're the ones that broke the POP site as it worked before they had server problems.. have you checked their support site, tested it using a different POP client?

(if you have gmail you can configure it to pick up mail from other POP accounts, could test using that.. or download Thunderbird or similar)

Comment

if you're uber geeky you could try telneting to 110 on their server and test comms by hand.

Comment

Or, (if you're using POP) all of the messages could have already been marked as downloaded?

I used get this with Gmail until I used "recent:". Try adding that string to the front of your username.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
          X