• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote power on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote power on

Is there any sensible way of doing this:

I have a subversion server working over https that's connected behind a netgear ADSL router. It gets occasional use, by remote and local clients, maybe only once a week for a short time.

Ideally I'd like to set it up so that it can power up in response to a request, and then switch itself back off again after half an hour or so of inactivity.

I did find a way of doing a remote power on before, but it involved connecting over VPN and then using remote desktop to a PC already on on a LAN and running a program to send something over a LAN. All a bit long winded, and in this case the only thing being left on is the router.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by PatrickN
    If your motherboard supports it then you can use Wake-on-LAN to wake up the PC. The specifics will be dependant on your platform.
    Yes WOL was what I'd used before, but I could never get it to work externally.

Interestingly that talks about Linksys routers giving web access to send a WOL packet on the LAN, which may solve the problem.

Alternatively, how about setting up subversion on a remote server on the internet.
    I had thought of that, and there's one I could use, but there's the security aspect as well as the hassle of uploading all the data in the first place.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

subversion server
      What's that ?

I did a google but got loads of hits on how to set one up, whereas I just wanted a "what is a subversion server ?"
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        "what is a subversion server ?"
        a server running subversion - version controlling source code repository.. like CVS, if you've ever downloaded opensource software (for example).

most routers kludge WOL packets, its annoying..

Comment

Aha, I think I know...

One place I used to work used to have a server in-house where the programmers stored code using something called rational rose, I think.

The idea was so that they could roll-back to previous versions and stuff.

Is Subversion the same sort of thing, except that it allows for collaboration over the interweb thingie instead ?
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I use subversion on my Dreamhost package at www.dreamhost.com

It's worth a look. If you choose it you get a healthy discount using the DREAMSAVING promocode too!
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
            X