• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOS Command Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOS Command Question

I have a requirement to create some batch commands to truncate some .dat files from 4000 bytes per record to 100, to get rid of loads of extraneous blanks in the file, so they can be transmitted more efficiently.

Can anyone recommend what DOS command would do that? I don't know DOS very well, so I'm not even sure if it's possible.

Thanks
    Moose

if it's just text files and they only so they can be transmitted can you not just zip them up?

I beleive winzip has a comand line interface you could write a batch file for.

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
      if it's just text files and they only so they can be transmitted can you not just zip them up?

I beleive winzip has a comand line interface you could write a batch file for.
      I thought about that, but then the other end has to unzip them, and I don't know if they'll want to do that. I'll suggest it though. Cheers.

Edit: Just looked at Winzip, and saw this about the command line interface:

Note: at the time of this writing, the command line support add-on has still not been officially released, but a pre-release beta test version is available as a free download from the web page http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.cgi.
      The WinZip Command Line Support Add-On lets you use WinZip's® power within batch files, macros, and other situations where you have a specific task and would prefer to accomplish it quickly or automatically, without using the usual WinZip graphical user interface.
      Last edited by Moose423956; 5 October 2007, 14:56.

Comment

This works:

http://www.info-zip.org/

Not really DOS of course, but we'll let that slide.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X