• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SEO Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEO Tips

Can anyone give some advice on the best way to improve natural Google search results.

Plan B is up and running and really needs a boost from search engine traffic.

The site is not search engine friendly (I know, I know) as it is graphics based.

Any links to resources on the web would be helpful as well.

TIA.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    The site is not search engine friendly (I know, I know) as it is graphics based
    I was about to suggest clean, valid, accessible markup - but then you go and ruin everything. Be targeted with your alt text, for every image, get links and linkbacks everywhere, get listed with some major directories. It would help if I could see the site in question.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      I was about to suggest clean, valid, accessible markup - but then you go and ruin everything. Be targeted with your alt text, for every image, get links and linkbacks everywhere, get listed with some major directories. It would help if I could see the site in question.
      I know - not my fault - my business partners idea (bit of a designer type).

RH - can you clarify what you mean by the above (highlighted text).

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        I know - not my fault - my business partners idea (bit of a designer type).

RH - can you clarify what you mean by the above (highlighted text).
        PM me the URL - I'll PM an example for you - it's easier to show you than try to explain.

Comment

Cheers - let me know if you need any more info.

Comment

Search engines like unique content. The best way to get listed quick is to put up a blog (as part of your domain) and have an RSS feed.

Doing that opens up a whole new world of directories to get links from.

A quick way to get your site noticed by Google is to get your RSS feed and add it to your igoogle feeds (the personalised Google page you can have with your choice of feeds). You can do the same with My Yahoo as well.

Submit your site to these directories:

http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php

Submit your blog/RSS feed to these directories:

http://www.toprankblog.com/rss-blog-directories/

A lot of directories are quite snotty about 'quality' so make sure you've got some unique content especially on the blog, don't submit that until it's about a week old with a few entries.

Have you done keyword research at all?

If you're stuck for content you can usually get some articles from article directories and re-write them or publish them as they are with the author's URL in the resource box. Search engines don't like duplicate content though so it's best to re-write them.

You can also publish articles to directories with your URL in the resource box for traffic and more in-pointing links:

http://www.articledirectories.info/

HTH
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Jog On - Many thanks for the tips.

I'll take a closer look at these tomorrow.
              (It's been a long day, and only now getting some wind down time).

Comment

RSS/Blogs is a good idea - I also noticed that the traffic from Google spiked on one site I did after publishing a podcast and registering it in iTunes' online store (and feedburner) - linking back to the xml.

Comment

Working...
                X