• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VMWare and USB Dongles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare and USB Dongles

Anyone know of a utility or software to purchase that will enable me to use a DONGLE on a VMWare guest?

dante

Hello,

Can you clarify exactly what you're trying to do? I might have used a piece of hardware that can help that offers ethernet over USB.

Dante

Comment

We would like to run some scanning software which requires a usb dongle to work. I have heard of utilities that will make it work over ethernet, but am yet to find some.

Cheers

Comment

http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp

Comment

One of the software products that I support requires an USB dongle and although unsupported by the manufacturer I managed to run their software in a VMWare environment. I just mounted it via VMWare Tools.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            One of the software products that I support requires an USB dongle and although unsupported by the manufacturer I managed to run their software in a VMWare environment. I just mounted it via VMWare Tools.
            Yep I did the same. Interestingly on some previous version instances of VMWare, it would 'remember' the dongle, and therefore you could use the VMware without the dongle once you'd built it with the dongle mounted.

I'm pretty sure this has been ironed out though.

Comment

VMware ESX server doesnt support USB controllers. Workstation and GSX do. As above use VMware tools to add the device.

Comment

Working...
              X