• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows networking question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope someone can help me with a PC networking problem.

A friend of mine runs a small office. He has a couple of PC’s running Windows 98. These are networked (via Ethernet / windows networking I suppose). He also has a laptop (running windows 95) which he plugs into the network when he needs to.

What he wants to be able to do is take the laptop home with him and be able to dial in to the office and pull files off the main desktop machine to work on them. All the PC’s have modems, but Windows 98 doesn’t seem to support this kind of thing.

Is there a simple solution, or do we need some extra hardware / software?

I would have thought that would work fine, share the folders that contain the info that he wants. In what way doesnt it work ?

If the problem is that the win clients will not support dial in like that have a look at PC Anywhere allows you to control a PC from a remote machine - and you can upload files etc

costs about £20

Comment

That’s exactly the problem Mark. I can’t / don’t know how to make the Win98 machine support dial in from the laptop. I’ll look into PC Anywhere.

Thanks.

Comment

Networking

Go into Add/Remove programs (in control panel).

Click Windows Setup.

Single click communications (not the tick box).

Click Details.

Tick the box for Dial Up Server.

Insert CD and install.

This is a cut down system. It doesn't use TCP/IP but should get you started.

Comment

Working...
        X