• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handheld scanners -do they work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handheld scanners -do they work?

I've been looking at a way to make my invoicing quicker/easier and am considering scanning receipts 'on the hoof'.

Are hand held scanners worth the money?

maybe.

We used to have one of the hand held jobs floating about. it was ok - have to move at a constant speed but it did the job.

or do you mean those pen things ?

Mark

Comment

Re: maybe.

Thanks Mark,

I think the pens just do OCR scanning.

Comment

pens

Lynn,

yes, but in theory you could use them to scan the details straight into excel or similar.

dont know anyone who has one so I dont know if they are any good.

Mark

Comment

pens

I have seen the pens used quite efficiently to read in news articles from the papers.

You can "train" them to recognise the font used etc. to improve performance.

You will always have to check what has been read in though as there will be errors.

Comment

Re: pens

Still got a little Primax hand scanner with click on motor option knocking about somewhere. To work well with OCR you need not only a steady speed but also to keep it straight on the page to avoid slanty or wavery text.

Comment

Apparently, you need good wrist action, is this you Jacko?

Comment

So I've been told Spod....

(Anyway you're not supposed to be here, this was a serious question in a serious forum )

And 'hello' back, btw

Comment

Working...
                X