• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freecom Portable II - Any Issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freecom Portable II - Any Issues

Hi,

I'm going to be installing a Freecom Portable II CD/DVD/CD-RW combo onto a clients machine and I have heard a whisper that there may be problems with the drivers.

I have downloaded the latest driver and manual from freecom. Does anyone have any comments.

Sparklelard.....

Unix is Like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Just Apache!!

I bought one of these 18months ago and it now no longer works. There is no power to the unit, either the DC adapter is shafted or the actual unit is broke.

Apart from that, I had no problems at all. It has been attached to WinNT 4.0 and 2000 in its lifetime.

What is your Op/Sys?

Comment

Freecom Portable II

It's going onto a NT4 SP6 platform

>:

Comment

Re: Freecom Portable II

Should be okay.

When I bought one it had a parallel connection, and it was 1x-2x-4x write speed. I found 2x to be the best cos errors might occur on the higher speed(s).

Probably get a USB/Firewire version next

Comment

which drivers ?

What interface ?

I have the standard cd version on pcmcia and that works fine. Freecom also supply various laptop makers as an oem anyway.

Given a choice I would agree with andy and go for iee1394 or usb2 - not sure how you stand with NT though for support for that hardware and drivers.

I know that the early Ricoh cdrw/dvd drive mechanisms had lots of problems and gave cdrw/dvd a bad name for a while - was that your concern ?

Comment

Freecom Portable II

0] I was just asked to find the drivers and identify any potential issues.

The device is parallel connected, with the main gotcha is that the port needs to be in EPP mode.

:hat 8o :b >D

Comment

hmmm

Hope that the PC supports it.

Is the drive burnproof ?

Comment

Working...
              X