• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone used OpenOffice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used OpenOffice?

Is it worth downloading (or spending a fiver on the CD)?

It's either too good to be true or the answer to getting rid of Microsoft Office from my life.

Yes, use it all the time. Dunno, downloaded it once, but since then I've found it on CDs, already in the OS distributions that kind of thing, & err, is that logical or, or an exclusive or: then the answer is maybe.

But seeing as how good ole'Billy boy not only invited me to the baptism of his young-un, but now is even going to give a divi out on the shares I've had since the days of the Altair, finally, I must say erm, whatever it was I said in the first place.

Comment

Thanks threaded.

(post rating: 6 out 10
      Started well, positive recommendation before losing it in incoherent rambling...)

Comment

OpenOffice

Jacko,

I use it on both Windows 2000 and Linux.

Other than the occasional layout issue with some powerpoint presentations that I get sent it does a good job.

By default it saves in its own xml format but you can save to word / excel etc formats fine.

Some of the way the user interface behaves takes some getting used to but once you have played a bit it is excellent. eg summing columns in the spreadsheet.

Dont bother with anything less than version 1.0.1.

Dont pay £5. If you dont mind v1.0.1 I can stick one in the post, if you want the latest then www.linuxemporium.co.uk do it for £1 cant remember whattheir postage charge is.

Mark

Comment

Re: OpenOffice

Yes please Mark!

If you haven't still got my address I'll give you a call later in the week.

Comment

I've used the version that comes with suse linux 8.0 - StarOffice 5.2 it says on the box. Great product and I like using it.

Comment

Thanks Mark - Got it.

Comment

Working...
              X