• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADSL Modem/Router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSL Modem/Router

I've found an ADSL modem/router for £59 at the following:

www.lynx.net.uk/icc/code/products.asp?recid=287&catid=44

It's apparently "Etec"?

Has anyone heard of these or bought one? Are they any good? From the spec. it seems like a damn good deal, but then cheap generally has it's catches!

Any comments welcome.

Disclaimer : I am not connected with these people in any way

There's a problem with that website, it doesn't give you the correct price - it omits the VAT.

Can't say that I can see any problems with it, but then I have no experience of that particular machine (unless it's a rebadged unit). What is a nice touch is the free microfilter.

I recommend the new updated version of the AMX-CA64E (or Dabs Value Quicklinx 17P8WS) found HERE!, but you'll need to get a microfilter if you want to use a phone on the same line or on an(y) extension(s).

It is an excellent ADSL modem & 4 port Switch, with an extensive feature set. Amigo have really gone to town and given their customers everything they want. I've been using one for nearly a year without a single problem.

Or the SAR715 VPN Capable ADSL Router & Four Port Switch, available on my own website RAMMShack

We also do the SAR715-PW, which is similar, but offers a WAP (wireless access point) for just £147.46 (ex VAT :¬) at least we tell you).

Comment

Thanks for that, Rob

I had already looked at your site and seen that one, but at twice the price decided to check further.

The dabs one looks like a good deal - noticed in the customer comments that people were saying it's got a crappy build quality, though - any comments on that?

Owen

Comment

Yes - I do have a comment. It's nonesense. The build quality of the AMX-CA64E (and it's single port brother) is more than adequate for the purpose to which it is intended. It isn't an aluminium or steel cage, but so what?

Indeed, I found it quite difficult to open up to reset, initially.

I've just installed (today) the latest version and it's fine.

Don't cover the ventilator on top, though. The new one is cooler, but still needs adequate ventilation. But that is always something you're going to need to guard against with any electrical product.

If I could afford to keep them in stock, I would do so. But I cannot find a UK supplier, other than DABS (I would welcome a supplier contacting me if they have this item), and there is insufficient margin unless I offer it as part of an installation package.

Comment

LinkSys are quite reasonable ... ones I have used have been stable enough and are straightforward to configure.

Do a number of models .... incl. 802.11b AP (security on that is a bit limited though ... static 128bit WEP keys I think.) Good enough for home though.

Cheers,

Comment

We're also doing internal PCI ADSL modem/TAs for £33.97 (£39.91 Inc VAT) singly or packs of 10 for £27.54 ex VAT each.

I've heard the term "Cheap as Chips" mooted somewhere.

Comment

RobAnt

A piece of advice.

I may be the only one here who is sick of your sigline and graphics bit, but I find it a real put-off, to the extent that I try to avoid reading anything you post.

Not good for business in my humble opinion.

Comment

Re: RobAnt

Your loss then.

Comment

I tried to give you feedback and you came back with:

"Your loss then."

Can you please explain that comment?

Comment

Its a pointless conversation to engage in. One mans hated whore is another mans love of life.

Comment

Working...
                    X