• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET or Java Training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.NET or Java Training

I am currently contracting using Oracle 8i with forms, reports and pl/sql etc. The company I am with have decided that .NET is the way to go and that C# is the flavour of choice.

The question is which way should I be going now? .NET seems to be the flavor of the month and there may be opportunities in that direction but is C# the way to go or VB. Everyone and their dog seems to know VB but me and I cant believe that companies who already have a VB knowledge base would move to C#, maybe I should train up in the rarer C# skill.

There is also Java which looks to be .NETs main competitor, training in this seems to complement what I already know and is the route that Oracle is going down.

Maybe I should stick with what Ive got if COBOLs anything to go by my Oracle skills may be required for some time.

Your opinions on this would be useful to know and then ignored .

Yes

Comment

ta

Comment

C# and Java are very similar languages, but VB.net is quite different to VB6.
        I don't think there's anything you can do in vb.net that you can't to in c#.

Comment

I don't think there's anything you can do in vb.net that you can't to in c#.
          VB.NET has a beep statement, which C# lacks.

Therefore C# is totally unsuitable as a programming language.

Comment

Not strictly correct.

You can add a reference to the .Visual basic .net runtime dll and then call the beep statement with:-

Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction.Beep();

(sadly I've actually done this before on one of my programs to alert the user of gross stupidity).

Comment

(sadly I've actually done this before on one of my programs to alert the user of gross stupidity).
              Why not instead play a Wav file of you shouting "Oi! You @#%$ moron, what do you think you are playing at?"

Comment

Working...
              X