• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Access Databases & Visual Basic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access Databases & Visual Basic

I've created a database with a VB front end.

I have a problem where I need a table sorted by a particular field when VB opens the database.

Could someone please explain how I do this.

Sorry I'm a complete nork when it comes to these type of things.

Thanks

and whats wrong with ORDER BY statement?

Comment

ATW.

I'm like a sysadmin not a VB Programmer

So I would say nothing is wrong with Order By Statement (If I knew what it was)

The other thing I've tried is to sort the database before I run my Program (This does not work) the records do not appear in order)

Comment

Okay... So i wiped all my data from the database and re-entered it.. Now it works..

Must have been a problem with the table.

Comment

Look at recordsets and bone up on SQL.

Comment

there is no such as thing as "sort database", dabatase is a collection of tables, you can't even sort data in the tables per se, you can only have ordered results from select statements using ORDER BY.

if you meant to sort list of tables that you viewed in access than it was probably sufficient to click on one of the tabs in the list. i'd tell you more but access aint database!

Comment

I love database snobs. Oracle people say SQL2000 is not a real database, SQL2000 people say Access is not a database.
              I have seen some pretty nifty solutions from Access. Just hate people who claim to be Access guru's and then look surprised when you discuss something involving code behind.
              I guy I knew claimed to be an expert, and then asked me how to type code into the'black box behind the front end' as he called it. sigh...
              access is great for annoying little data driven projects....and of course then there is the licensing advantages...

Comment

Ive done a fair bit of Sybase, Oracle, DB2 and MS SQL server (years of day in day out, including hardcore performance and tuning opts).

Access is NOT a database as it does not pass ACID test. I am now using Access 2000 to help the girl i know in her colledge assignment and its okay for that sort of thing. Just like Pascal its just a toy.

If your problem is licenses then get MySQL or PosgresSQL. At least these are proven to work in multi-user environments, and Access is not.

Comment

Working...
                X