• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

downgrade to C#

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

downgrade to C#

Well hello,
    here is my first ever post ...

I am a asp.net contractor (VB) ... do you think its worth learning C# ?
    I am guessing it wouldn't take that long, and the money is better, but a .net whore is what I would become.
    Last edited by someone has my name; 8 August 2007, 15:25.

The best way to learn C# is to apply for a C# contract - making sure that your CV specifies lots of C# experience. If you get the contract, prepare yourself to be thrown in at the deep end.

You'll learn more in a month than you would in a year of "studying".

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
      The best way to learn C# is to apply for a C# contract - making sure that your CV specifies lots of C# experience. If you get the contract, prepare yourself to be thrown in at the deep end.

You'll learn more in a month than you would in a year of "studying".
      agreed, it is what I did. There are a few vb to c# conversion tools that work ok, not perfect but if you get stuck they can help. Took me around 4 weeks to become as proficient in c# as vb. I now have separate cv's for both languages, clients dont seem to like it if you swing both ways.
      whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
        agreed, it is what I did. There are a few vb to c# conversion tools that work ok, not perfect but if you get stuck they can help. Took me around 4 weeks to become as proficient in c# as vb. I now have separate cv's for both languages, clients dont seem to like it if you swing both ways.
        I guess there were no technical questions in the interview then?

Comment

Originally posted by someone has my name
          Well hello,
          here is my first ever post ...

I am a asp.net contractor (VB) ... do you think its worth learning C# ?
          I am guessing it wouldn't take that long, and the money is better, but a .net whore is what I would become.
          There are more contracts for c# developers than vb.net take a loot at
          jobserve, cwjobs..etc so it it's worth learning, as it increases your chances
          of finding work.

you are already a ".net whore" as you are using vb.net, learning c# will
          add more tricks so you can please your clients.

Comment

I came from a VB background, it took me no time at all to start using C#. The hardest part is learning the framework. Syntactical differences is just a getting used to it.

I my first ever contract I had to write a asp.net application, they didn't specify a language so I just went for C#, a month later I was productive in both languages.

Comment

You should be able to make the switch no problems at all, just google for c# vb keyword comparison if you get stuck. Be warned though, if your working with someone who knows what their doing, they will spot a lack of c# experience within minutes of you coding. Likewise, you can spot the VB guys, as they always use VB keywords such as cint / format, etc

Comment

If you're doing your VB.NET in a proper OO, distributed-logic kind of way, it will be a walk in the park to change to C#. Just lose your fear of curly braces and case-sensitivity. Then you'll have doubled your usefulness (on paper) within a fortnight.

If you're doing your VB.NET in a "write some procedures, then stick them in a class because it won't compile otherwise" kind of way, then you should make the OO transition first. That's not difficult either as long as you're prepared to free your mind.

Comment

Thanks for all your help,
                  In my current contract I work 3 days a week
                  (Wife just had a baby)so I am going spend a couple
                  of days during the week learning some C# then when my
                  contract ends on 5th Oct, I will look for a Junior C# contract
                  with my lightly peppered C# CV...
                  I think that’s a sensible option. I also done OO .. so should get by I think

Comment

Working...
                  X