• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSDN and Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSDN and Vista

If I wanted to get hold of Vista just for software testing purposes (genuinely), is there a good way? There's MSDN OS subscription, but I guess that's more expensive than just buying the real thing.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Technet subscription? Depends on whether you are a coder or infrastructure guy? I'm an infrastructure guy so I went for the technet subscription, I get licencses (development only) for all OS's from Microsoft as well as all other server products.

Best 200 odd quid I ever spent IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by kirk
      Technet subscription? Depends on whether you are a coder or infrastructure guy? I'm an infrastructure guy so I went for the technet subscription, I get licencses (development only) for all OS's from Microsoft as well as all other server products.

Best 200 odd quid I ever spent IMHO
      or you could try the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription for the same price

Comment

when will the world wake up and realise we don't need microsoft anymore.. if they folded tomorrow the world would be a better place.

Comment

Originally posted by barry_abs
          when will the world wake up and realise we don't need microsoft anymore.. if they folded tomorrow the world would be a better place.
          The world would be all the poorer for the loss of Bill's Brainchild
          I certainly would be, I rely on innovations like Vista to provide me with support work and thus additional income.

Keep up the good work Microsoft
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
            or you could try the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription for the same price
            Yeah I've subscribed to MAPS you have to register in the partner programme first, and soon to sign up or renew a MAPS you will need to pass a test.

But it's very good value for money at 200 squid

Comment

Thanks I'll look into those options.

I'm a code monkey, not a glorified cable connector and power switch operator.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Cheapest place I found a copy was Costco.

It was cheaper than buying it through my Dabs account that has "a significant corporate discount" attached to it. Should tell you all you need to know about the amazing discounts that companies like dabs, misco, etc give us corporate account holders....

Comment

Originally posted by Diver
                  The world would be all the poorer for the loss of Bill's Brainchild
                  I certainly would be, I rely on innovations like Vista to provide me with support work and thus additional income.

Keep up the good work Microsoft
                  Yep! If it ain't broke, find another arena to contract in.

Comment

Oh and the other option is purchase an OEM key. you can get a Vista Ultimate OEM key for about £95, but you need access to install media to use it. The good news is that OEM keys seem to work on the install media that you get with a fully licensed version, so all you have to do is find somebody who bought a full price copy and get a copy of thier install disk.

I suspect you will be able to download a copy of the install media from somewhere online as well, although getting a unmodified vanilla copy may take a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X