• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Mac users..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Mac users..

I currently use XP in Parallels which works very well for me.

However I thinking of changing the set up so that I install Vista via Bootcamp, and then having Parallels use that installation instead.

There's no real reason for me to do this, other than a) I can b) I just fancy seeing if it works and c) it passes the time

Having said that, I had a nightmare with a friend's Toshiba laptop and Vista and swore I'd never touch Vista again.

Has anyone got Vista/Parallels set up in the way I describe above, and was it fairly easy to do?

cheers

Originally posted by interested
    I currently use XP in Parallels which works very well for me.

However I thinking of changing the set up so that I install Vista via Bootcamp, and then having Parallels use that installation instead.

There's no real reason for me to do this, other than a) I can b) I just fancy seeing if it works and c) it passes the time

Having said that, I had a nightmare with a friend's Toshiba laptop and Vista and swore I'd never touch Vista again.

Has anyone got Vista/Parallels set up in the way I describe above, and was it fairly easy to do?

cheers

Parallels is good, however I would use Bootcamp and install Vista that way as you will find it quicker. You can then continue to use your XP installation in Parallels for reference.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by smee.again
      Parallels is good, however I would use Bootcamp and install Vista that way as you will find it quicker. You can then continue to use your XP installation in Parallels for reference.

HTH
      Downside to that is that I will have an XP and a Vista installation, don't want to waste disk space if I can help it..

Comment

Downside to that is that I will have an XP and a Vista installation, don't want to waste disk space if I can help it..
        Yep. I would not bother with the Vista installation at this point as it has sooooo many holes and bugs, you may find that your hardware simply does not work.

I have XP installed with Bootcamp and it works great.

What MAc do you have? I have the Mac Book Pro and it has the bigger hard drive but I still think I may get a bigger one.....

Comment

Yep. I would not bother with the Vista installation at this point as it has sooooo many holes and bugs, you may find that your hardware simply does not work.

I have XP installed with Bootcamp and it works great.

What MAc do you have? I have the Mac Book Pro and it has the bigger hard drive but I still think I may get a bigger one.....
          Macbook Pro, 120GB HD, got it in Jan so it's not the latest Santa Rosa/LED one

I've got 50GB free but I just don't really want two Windows installations wasting HD space. I reckon I will at least wait for Leopard to come out before making any kind of decision.

Comment

Macbook Pro, 120GB HD, got it in Jan so it's not the latest Santa Rosa/LED one

I've got 50GB free but I just don't really want two Windows installations wasting HD space. I reckon I will at least wait for Leopard to come out before making any kind of decision.

Yep. I am waiting on Leopard, then I will get the new MBP with the biggest HDD I can...

Comment

This is Vista running natively on my MacBook

Everything works perfect (and it's alot faster than on a similar spec PC too).

Only thing that doesnt work is the built in iSight

Comment

I installed XP via Bootcamp and it worked like a charm. Then I decided to use Parallels instead and with Coherence mode you will be laughing (but it seems to eat up more resources than just running it in an application window.

I also had no problems removing the Bootcamp partition and restoring the one OSX volume after i decided there was little or no point using Bootcamp over Parallels.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro I also got in Jan and I use it as a business machine as well as personal. Hello business expense

P

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew
                  I installed XP via Bootcamp and it worked like a charm. Then I decided to use Parallels instead and with Coherence mode you will be laughing (but it seems to eat up more resources than just running it in an application window.

I also had no problems removing the Bootcamp partition and restoring the one OSX volume after i decided there was little or no point using Bootcamp over Parallels.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro I also got in Jan and I use it as a business machine as well as personal. Hello business expense

P

Yep, Parallels is good but I dosliked the restrictions on the amount of memory you could allocate the graphics....

Comment

Yep, Parallels is good but I dosliked the restrictions on the amount of memory you could allocate the graphics....
                    Not sure but this might have changed with the new version 3, as now you can use DirectX applications (i.e. games) in it.

Comment

Working...
                    X