• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commercial Training Department Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commercial Training Department Software

Chaps,

I'm looking for a piece of software for a potential client to manage their commercial training operations - course bookings online, venue/staff rotas, modular progression, etc...

Any ideas of any? Searches on the 'net haven't returned anything as yet...

Ideally opensource would be good, but an off-the-shelf package would also be OK?

Cheers in advance,

Kev

All commercial packages are sh ite, created by techies and sold by salesmen who don't know their arses from their elbows. This is because they've all been spec'ed by morons who have never been in training and don't know the first thing about requirements.

And they're all hideously expensive.

The best software I've seen and used was written by my old training manager in dBase II.

It ain't rocket-science. It just requires a calendar teaming up with resources and personel databases and an email interface.

BUSINESS OPORTUNITY:

If you can create a package and flog it for less than a grand you'd corner the market guys.

HTH.

Comment

Thanks Jacko,

I'm beginning to think development of a product from scratch is the way forward...

There are some out there but designed for HR depts to train their staff.

I don't know that you'll get one for under a grand - the business logic is quite complex (for my client anyway)...

Comment

Just to show you that they know feck all about TRAINING, Incubus. You're looking in the wrong place.

They all have delusions of grandeur and so call themselves "HR software" :lol

But just for a larf here are a few names for you..

Snowdrop
        Alchemy
        Vizual....

If you find any that will actually do the job that the salesman promised ("definiately in the new version...") let us know..... :lol

Comment

If you go down the route of buying, create a functional specification from your client, create a checklist from it (don't give the spec itself to the idiots) and get the salesman to sign it with a promise that his software will meet most of your criteria (I'd put up with an 80% match but no less) or your money back.

My old company threw £000's on software that didn't work.

Comment

Thanks Jacko,

I appreciate your responses...

I'll let you know how it progresses.

Cheers,

Kev

Comment

Working...
            X