• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Convert .com to .exe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert .com to .exe

Is it possible to convert DOS executables - .com - to Win32 - .exe ? Are there any utilities about to do this?

hard - some code won't even work, assuming you will try to run it on NT, ie direct hardware access will cause exceptions.

normally .com's were written in ASM and are less than 64kbytes, this means it can be disassembled and re-written with relative ease. I can't see the point however, what this .com does that you cant do in win32 already???

Comment

re: com exe

I want to associate an icon with the executable, im not sure you can do that with a .com file.

Comment

Re: re: com exe

dont be silly then - create shotcut with its own icon that would point to .com file, or - if you want to be posh create simple win32 exe which would spawn .com, you can even add .com to .exe as a resource to extract it dynamically and then run it to pretend there is only one file LOL

Comment

and I bet there are no viruses still around that infect coms.

Comment

ah, good old times of virii - I have written anti virus to cure against one local developed virus that is present in Symantec database

Comment

Working...
            X