• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS IIS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IIS

IIS is free. it comes with the relevant os. it is not supported on winxp home however. ms have removed all advice on doing an install on xp home. it does run on win2k prof. mdac i'm sure you will have with winxp. it is easy to check which version you have. win2k comes with mdac 2.6. ie6 brings along mdac 2.6 with it too. sql server installs mdac also as part of it's install. the latest sp installs 2.7. 2.7 is also a free download from msdn.
    have a look at www.aspfaq.com/plain.asp?id=2079

for notes on installing iis on winxp home but i'd recommend going back to win2k.

by far your best bet is to purchase an action pack subscription from uncle bill. this gets you £16000 software for home development use for 1 year for 190 used oncers! this includes winxp prof, win 2k server, sharepoint portal server, sql server, exchange server, mobile inf server, acceleration server etc etc....

can i swap my grouse for a decent st emilion premiere grand cru?

Comment

MS web site

actually ms don't use apache....

www.microsoft.com/windows...otnet.mspx

Comment

Re: MS web site

Microsoft owns a number of business that used to run Apache, ie: Hotmail. It took ages to replace FreeBSD and at some stage they had to roll back win2k install. I believe at the end they settled for 3-4 times more boxes running at the same capacity.

Comment

As posted, microsoft.com runs IIS6 on Windows 2003. Hotmail, MSN and Passport server farms are running IIS5 on Windows 2000 and, according to netcraft, have done for a while.
          I read somewhere that MS are rolling out a web edition of Windows 2003 which will retail for about £400.

Comment

its true about win2003 web edition, however, expect it to be very crippled version of windows. while it would probably be possible to un-cripple it, this would be illegal and whats the point to buy legit windows to make it non-legit whenyou can get proper non-legit in the first place?

bear in mind that IIS on non-server versions is limited to 10 connections, this may be pain in ass, depending on your traffic levels and architecture.

Comment

Also you can only build one site, (multiple virtual sites but only one site on 2K pro).

That was annoying.

Comment

if

it's just for test and dev why not use cassini?

Comment

IIS

If you are developing .NET, then look at www.asp.net

Download Web Matrix. This includes a basic server that will serve .NET pages (though only to localhost)

BTW. Missed me?

Not stopping long. Just a lul in work... (I am working now, been working since End Jan, after a period of 16 months off...)

Comment

Working...
                  X