• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BABT approval and CE marking..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BABT approval and CE marking..

I've bought an ADSL modem from a website in anticipation of the glorious day when my exchange is converted in a few weeks time.

I'm bothered at what turned up though and am in email contact with them.

The modem has no CE mark (some Canadian certification is mentioned on it). There is no BABT green blob either - are these needed, defunct, or what these days? (I've emailed trading standards to ask but they may take a while getting back I fear)

Luckily I used my flexible friend so if the worst comes to the worst I can get the money back.

Comments ? Advice ?

tia

modem

Aint all UK modems BABT approved these days?
    Did u buy from a UK site?

Exchange enabled....ohhhh dr000000l my exchange will be enabled at the end of this month. I first heard about broadband Internet back in 1997 when I was working for an ISP. The thought of broadband excited me (well I am a geek!).... and it has taken this long for broadband to become available in my area! I can't bloody wait.

Comment

Re: modem

I think that the BABT symbol is now obsolete - CE certification covers it along with other requirements.

It was an eBay purchase from a UK based IT site - they sent the OEM version of what I thought they were selling .Not having the certification didn't over bother me but I gave them a real hard time over it - lots of emails exchanged until I decided I'd wasted enough of his time to more than cover the £5 he saved by not sending the retail kit (which apparently is marked).

Had anybody pointed me to a decent link saying it is actually illegal to sell unmarked kit I might have taken it further but the local trading standards office have not even replied to my enquiry and I've got bored with it all.

My exchange gets converted 29 Aug - at least that's what the BT website said last time I looked.

Comment

You can query the BABT directly at [email protected] - however, the Oftel Register states: -

Since the Radio & Telecom Terminal Equipment Directive's (99/5/EC) transition period came into force in April 2000, whereby no legal requirements for telecoms conformance are currently invoked, this list has remained static.
        So I am only guessing here, but judging by that comment I don't think BABT approval is required any longer.

CE marking is another issue. I think that is required on most electrical products - but trying to identify exactly what the requirements are, from a consumers point of view, seems to be virtually impossible. Quite how one is supposed to know what products need, and which ones don't need CE compliance approval is beyond me.

However, on the TUV Website it states

CE marking is a legal requirement for many products sold into the European Union.
        What is interesting is it states "products sold into the EU" - ie imported goods - it doesn't say anything about goods manufactured here.

Comment

Rob,

That is quite correct. Only products made outside of the EU need the CE certification. The assumption is that if they are made in the EU, they will be forced by local laws to be of suitable quality.

Comment

Working...
          X