• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL and SQL*PLUS Tutorial

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL and SQL*PLUS Tutorial

Can anyone recomend a good SQL and/or SQL*Plus tutorial on the web, preferably using the demo tables as per the demobld.sql script (tables EMP, DEPT, BONUS, SALGRADE)?

I've found this one, but it looks a bit out of date to my untrained eye.

Originally posted by Moose423956
    Can anyone recomend a good SQL and/or SQL*Plus tutorial on the web, preferably using the demo tables as per the demobld.sql script (tables EMP, DEPT, BONUS, SALGRADE)?

Hey Moose, when you've finished with it will you lend it to SallyAnne? She needs all the help she can get...
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
      Hey Moose, when you've finished with it will you lend it to SallyAnne? She needs all the help she can get...

You're cockey when you think I'm not around aren't ya?
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Sorry Moose - dont know any.

I used an Oracle CBT back in the day.
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          Sorry Moose - dont know any.

I used an Oracle CBT back in the day.
          That's what I'm trying to do as well, to try and get things moving. Requested it last week, but waiting for a management decision on whether or not we can buy it. It's only £380 FFS, maybe I should hold out for a full-blown residential course.

What about a good book/books?

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne

You're cockey when you think I'm not around aren't ya?
            I'm cockey when you are
            The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
              I'm a cock when you are

Harsh, but fair
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

That's what I'm trying to do as well, to try and get things moving. Requested it last week, but waiting for a management decision on whether or not we can buy it. It's only £380 FFS, maybe I should hold out for a full-blown residential course.

What about a good book/books?

Oh ffs - why are management such useless feckers?!!

Sql plus is a doddle to pick up - you could probably just search on google for a list of the commands.
                And theres bound to be an Oracle SQL book out there.

Sorry I cant be more help.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Tutorial etc.

You are new to Oracle, so here are my tips:

1. Buy the following books (all available nice-n-cheap from Amazon):
                  a. Beginning Oracle Programming (Dillon, Beck & Kyte) ISBN 1-861006-90-X
                  b. Expert Oracle One-On-One (Tom Kyte) ISBN1-861004-82-6
                  c. Expert Oracle 9i Database Administration (Sam Alapati) ISBN 13-978-1590590225

2. Install Oracle onto your home PC.
                  3. Set aside an hour a night, and a good few at weekends, and plug away.
                  4. Make asktom.oracle.com your home page and start the initially daunting, but quite soon not too bad, trawl through ask tom. I suggest clicking at random, to start with (just to get a decent taste of Oracle), or search the site for stuff in the books you don't understand properly.
                  5. Download the Oracle docs - gigantic, but there are "newbie" DBA guides in there, and a SQL*Plus guide too. Free to download.
                  6. Go on a Learning Tree course, or two. Pricey, but VERY good. NOTE: Oracle course are, IMHO, a bit poo. Only because the trainer is just that, i.e. a trainer, and not a lot else. Learning Tree employ, basically, contractors who have the ability to teach. LT trainers may spend only 6 weeks training per year for LT (I was told) and must prove "out-in-the-field" experience for the rest of the year. But, LT Oracle training is no use for OCP accreditation - your choice.
                  7. Not sure what sort of Oracle stuff you are going to be doing, but get clued-up ASAP on backup & recovery using RMAN - the only thing you can be summarily executed for is losing the data! Do it even if you are a Developer - it's staggering how many DBAs don't have the first idea about backing-up, and even more amazing how many don't have a clue about recovery!

Hope that helps.
                  Last edited by richard-af; 23 July 2007, 13:18.

Comment

[QUOTE=SallyAnne]Oh ffs - why are management such useless feckers?!!
                    QUOTE]

Is that a bit of a generalisation?

A bit like "all women drivers are tulipe"?

Comment

Working...
                    X