• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Oracle Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Oracle Question

Is there a way to get the number of result rows returned and use that number as a footer?

e.g.
    Code:
    SELECT 'HEADER - HEADER ROW HERE' FROM DUAL
    UNION ALL
    SELECT A,B,C
    FROM MY_TABLE
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 'FOOTER - TOTAL NUMBER OF ROWS RETURNED =' <INSERT ROW COUNT HERE> FROM DUAL
    I've tried using rownum, but it doesn't give me total number of rows output, only total number of rows in the current select statment (i.e. 1).

SELECT 'HEADER - HEADER ROW HERE' FROM DUAL
    UNION ALL
    SELECT A,B,C
    FROM MY_TABLE
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 'FOOTER - TOTAL NUMBER OF ROWS RETURNED = '||count(*) from MY_TABLE

This should work, but I'm not at work today, so I haven't been able to try it.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Cheers SA, works a treat.

Easy when you know how hey

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        Cheers SA, works a treat.

Easy when you know how hey
        that will work but you are hitting the same records twice which is not very efficient. Depends on how big the result set is but a more efficient way is to use pl/sql and have it in a cursor and loop through...

Comment

Working...
        X