• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

firefoxed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefoxed

whenever I run firefox it overwrites MAPI32.dll with a new copy that prevents my MS Outlook from opening.

Can AtW please pop up to explain to non-IT professionals why this is a Good Thing

("shouldn't use Outlook anyway" doesn't count, too easy. And I have a reason for using it).

Hmm I use firefox, and outlook (On three machines in total including at work), and I don't have that problem ...

Comment

Would it help to copy the old version into the MS Express Program files/directory? Think apps use dlls in own app directory if present rather than looking in Windows system. Not entirely sure tho you won't have to fart around with regedit.

Comment

foxed

It sure does happen to me. I suppose it depends on versions of things, but it seems to be a not uncommon problem, judging from a read on the web, which is how I found out what the problem was.

Comment

MAPI32.dll

good suggestion xog.

In this case it doesn't really matter to me: my reason for having Outlook on the PC is to be able to try things out before telling other people how to do it: so I can just apply MS fix # 1 (if a file doesn't work, just delete it), do my test, then get back to normal.

But I don't regard it as ready-for-prime-time that firefox does this: if it were Outlook or IE that consistently screwed up firefox, the complaints would be loud.

Comment

bug

Can AtW please pop up to explain to non-IT professionals why this is a Good Thing
            Its a bug - report it and it will get fixed. Make sure you report versions of OS and Outlook -- at my ex-work I had Firefox v1.0 (and pre-release) on Win2k + Outlook 2000 (not express) and all worked fine.

Right now I totally switched away from Outlook Express as Thunderbird is a better mail client, perhaps not as feature rich as Outlook (calendar, meeting rooms), but for home use its better (nice anti spam filter).

Comment

Working...
            X