• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AMD 64 or INTEL P4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD 64 or INTEL P4

I'm upgrading my main PC but am not sure whether to go for AMD 64 or INTEL P4 (775)

The PC will be running Windoze XP and GENTOO LINUX.
    The main uses of the PC are GAMES, Picture Editing, Office type functionality, some development, web surfing and maybe video editing in the future.

After checking out some forums and Internet shops, the opinion seems to be that if you have P4 then you slag off AMD and visa versa (not at all helpful)

Any advice , guidance, personal experiences (relevant to the question) or sensible question or comments welcome

Ta

MG

P.S OH: no I do not want a big MAC and large fries !

I'm not up to date on this now the Athlon 64 is out but it used to be that you got more bang for your buck from AMD.

I have it at the back of my mind that the price differential has been eroded now though.

Until Windoze supports 64bit ignore all the hype about that and compare some performance reviews and prices.

Comment

If you were just running windows then there's not much to choose between them. You can get a 64 bit version of Linux now, so AMD 64 would be the way to go if you run Linux.

Comment

AMD

AMD64 all the way, but I'm waiting for PCIX motherboards to get a good foothold... I think nForce PCIX motherboards are coming in for AMD processors.

Comment

Re: AMD

G5.

And you get a free milkshake.

Comment

Working...
          X