• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disallow copy of input fields in HTML/Java Script....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disallow copy of input fields in HTML/Java Script....

A colleague is developing a web application, part of which includes the register and enter password (*2) bit.

He wants to ensure that the password is not coppied and then pasted into the 2nd occurance of the field.

We know how to disable right click functionality but that still does not prevent ctrl C and ctrl V functionality.

MG

Easy. Make sure both passwords are different!

Not tried it so not sure, as jscript is a huge barrel of worms at times, but what about something like this in both password boxes?

#input type="password" onfocus="window.clipboardData.clearData()"#

Obviously read < > for # in above.

PS Seem vaguely to recall having problems with onfocus before but sure bunging a clearData in one of the events should sort it. See LHS list on:

msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/events/onfocus.asp

Comment

If it's a password field, then the user will only be copying a string of stars! So unless they use 6 asterisks as their password, you should have no problem.

Comment

on some sites the copying and pasting of the * actually works.

It's also other information like email address....

Comment

>> on some sites the copying and pasting of the * actually works.

Sounds like the site doesn't actually validate! Could be a browser bug though!

>> It's also other information like email address....

I HATE sites that ask you to type your email twice! I can type you know! And I can read - there's a valid point with a pw field when you can't see what you've typed!

I always cut and paste the email address on such sites, and would probably go elsewhere if the site got RC about it!

Comment

Working...
          X