• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

wireless network security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless network security

i'm currently using netstumbler but not sure it's telling me that much. has anybody got any which they might consider better?

Have you tried 3 inch lead walls and chicken wire on the windows?

Comment

Are you using it to try and hack into your neighbours or to check if your own is secure?

Provided your wireless card is compatible it should tell you plenty so if yours is not showing try turning off WEP/WAP and turning on SSID broadcast - if it still doesn't see you it's not working. If it does but couldn't before you are as secure as you are likely to be. Don't forget to turn on MAC id filter too (but that can be spoofed anyway)

If you want full security though then the chicken wire is your best bet. I don't actually bother with any encryption on mine because the signal doesn't get through 2 foot of stone too well and the nearest neighbour (apart from the 80 year old grannie next door) is about 100yds away.

Comment

i'm trying to keep my own secure so i'm

wanting to check on unauth activity. netstumbler registers a network that i am unaware of so i presume it is a neighbour, but it gives no real data about it beyond it's existence.

Comment

Re: i'm trying to keep my own secure so i'm

Gosh, do you actually have neighbours that close up there in the highlands?

Comment

Most of the wireless hacking tools are linux only - do a search on "war driving"

Comment

If you want full security though then the chicken wire is your best bet. I don't actually bother with any encryption on mine because the signal doesn't get through 2 foot of stone too well and the nearest neighbour (apart from the 80 year old grannie next door) is about 100yds away.

The 80 year old grannie has probably just done one of those 'how to use the internet' courses for pensioners and is now using you spare bandwidth to run her 'hand-knitted cardigans e-commerce site.

Comment

pardon?

> you spare bandwidth

I don't have any spare bandwidth - if I pay for something I make full use of it. At the moment all spare capacity is being used running AtW's SKA.

The main reason I turned off encryption is because it slows down the connection. I checked around the premises with a little WiFi detector before doing so.

The old grannie is out with her geriatric chums getting pissed most of the time. An excellent way to spend her dead hubbies fortune imo.

Comment

Working...
                X