• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Vista on new laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco
    I'm using it on mine and the only real problem I have is copying files accross the network and deleting files. Sometimes goes nice and quick and sometimes takes for bloody ever.

Apart from that it hasn't crashed on me yet and works with the hardware/software I want it to.
    Yeah, this can be a pain in the ass.

I looked into this and it's a Vista feature - most of the time is taken up by Vista constantly calculating the file copy time as opposed to copying the file.

There is a MS kb article related to this as well - details here

Comment

vista is tulipe

however tempting Vista looks.. stay away.

Being a good honest contractor an all I decided that buying a legit MS OS was the right thing to do and i had a bit of time to geek about a bit..

previously XP Media Center, 1Gb RAM, mid range ASUS m'board, ATI Radeon g'card with TV out and 2x Hauppauge HVR TV Cards etc, etc, all ran swimmingly

decided while i was doing it to upgrade the processor aswell to dual core 64bit..

installed vista (after 6 attempts for it to recognise the seagate HD !!), onboard audio didnt work, graphics card was apparently now insufficient, 1Gb RAM just ticked over and the TV Cards worked after a few hrs of fecking around looking for drivers. the 64 bit processor along with vista helped screw up almost all other apps i was running... im now 1.5 days into the upgrade, 1gb extra ram purchased and awaiting delivery of a new graphics card.. ffs

upgrading to vista is time consuming, costly and fecking annoying, be warned..
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef
        however tempting Vista looks.. stay away.

Being a good honest contractor an all I decided that buying a legit MS OS was the right thing to do and i had a bit of time to geek about a bit..

previously XP Media Center, 1Gb RAM, mid range ASUS m'board, ATI Radeon g'card with TV out and 2x Hauppauge HVR TV Cards etc, etc, all ran swimmingly

decided while i was doing it to upgrade the processor aswell to dual core 64bit..

installed vista (after 6 attempts for it to recognise the seagate HD !!), onboard audio didnt work, graphics card was apparently now insufficient, 1Gb RAM just ticked over and the TV Cards worked after a few hrs of fecking around looking for drivers. the 64 bit processor along with vista helped screw up almost all other apps i was running... im now 1.5 days into the upgrade, 1gb extra ram purchased and awaiting delivery of a new graphics card.. ffs

upgrading to vista is time consuming, costly and fecking annoying, be warned..
        Sorry to hear this Chef.

I think, from your experience, and some others I have heard of, Vista is OK if purchased on a new unit - another way for the hardware vendors to fleece you.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
          Sorry to hear this Chef.

I think, from your experience, and some others I have heard of, Vista is OK if purchased on a new unit - another way for the hardware vendors to fleece you.

I've just taken delivery of a vaio tx5, nice little 11" job. Comes pre-installed with Vista business which is OK but runs slow even though it has 1GB of RAM. I looked to stick some more in but the unit will only take 1.5GB maximum and I don't think it will run that much faster then.

Looks like I'll be switching off all the visual goodies to boost performance. Funny that my powerbook can deal with all the fancy graphics with 1GB of RAM...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Well so far, My new Toshie with Vista installed is working like a charm.

The only 2 complaints I have is, Occassionally the Screen in Visual Studio 2005 doesn't repaint properly. And when I change windows in VS and Click the Cursor to a space and start typing is iit normally start displaying letters in previous 2 spaces from where I originally placed the cursor.

But I think these might actually be Visual Studio bugs rather than Visat bugs. Although I have only experienced them on the vista platform thus far.
            threenine.co.uk
            Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Wouldn't install on my worst enemy's PC nver mind my own...

My OSs of choice are currently Win2k (main PC and Laptop) and various flavours of Linux (other old laptop and PCs).

Works for me, solid as houses

Win2k is the newest MS offering I will ever use. XP is rubbish
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black
                Wouldn't install on my worst enemy's PC nver mind my own...

My OSs of choice are currently Win2k (main PC and Laptop) and various flavours of Linux (other old laptop and PCs).

Works for me, solid as houses

Win2k is the newest MS offering I will ever use. XP is rubbish

W2K is slow as old dogs...takes forever to boot up. XP is pretty stable but I prefer Mac OS X...

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
                  W2K is slow as old dogs...takes forever to boot up.
                  You'd be surprised how quick you can it to boot if you remove all the unecessary services that are activated by default

XP is quicker yes, but not by much.
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Do not go down the Vista path until SP1 or even SP2 is well bedded in.

So at least 1 to 2 yrs.

XP is good enough, unless you have a laptop with quad cores and 64GB RAM

Comment

It gives you trivial extra gimics in return for extra flakiness and slowness. The machine locks up two or three times a day. Some problems appear to have no solutions, I cannot view any png files in IE7 at the moment and hours spent on net have given me no clues. As system restore does not even work I cannot just rollback as I would have done on XP. I have to use it as developing s/w for sale, if you do not have to use it, avoid.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X