• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logon to 2 domains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logon to 2 domains

At the client site(s), I quite often have to keep changing membership of domains on my laptop. This is becoming a pain, and I wondered if there is any easier way to do this.

I've been trying to find information about this, a couple of places have mentioned using hardware profiles, but nothing at all seems to be documented about using it in the way I describe.

The domains I add my laptop to are completely separate, so setting up a trust relationship between the two isn't an option.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this, or know of any software that will help me?

You should be able to access file shares on both domains concurrently.

*You* will have a trust relationship with the domain rather than your *laptop*. Your laptop need never join a domain again. This is desirable because when a laptop joins a domain it gives up control to the domain (and its administrator). The domain administrator becomes a member of your laptops "Local Admin" group. Your harddrive is accessible via UNC \\laptop\c$

Anyway:

File sharing can be accessed by using UNC paths
    Windows 2000/3/Samba networks:
    Run box :-
    \\server1.domain1.tld\SHARE1
    NT:
    \\server\SHARE1

Then p/w prompt. Map share to drives.

Try this to access the second domain

\\server1.domain2.tld\SHARE1

You might need the name username in both domains.

For printing they may have IPP or IP printing if you are lucky.

Comment

You could also try to setup a VPN to one of the domains. This way you can logon to the primary domain, then when you need to connect to the other domain, use a dial-up networking connection to connect to the VPN of the other domain (Win2K or above is best).

Although you use dial-up networking to connect and RAS to setup the VPN (server-side), you don't actually need to use a telephone connection to make the VPN connection you just need the IP address of the VPN server. You will gain access to the VPN network just as if you have logged in, the only thing which may not run automatically are any logon scripts provided by the VPN server to normal connected users.

The server side can also be setup to be internal even though it is RAS by making sure that the interface being used is an internal NIC and not a telephone line.

Comment

www.netswitcher.com

www.netswitcher.com/v3_faq.htm#DOMAIN

Comment

Working...
        X