• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Win2000 not shutting down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win2000 not shutting down

My darn PC refuses to shut down fully. Have to press the off button in the end. Checked for any nasty things running and have even checked that all the processes shown are legit MS stuff. Any bright ideas? I hate reinstalling everything.

You ought to investigate which Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) is installed. Else examine and/or reflash the BIOS.

Comment

Do you really think Xog of all people would trust a machine with something called HAL on it?

Comment

> Checked for any nasty things running

Liar liar pants on fire - you said it was running windows in the subject line !!!

I don't recall versions of Windows earlier than 2000 ever staying up long enough for this sort of thing to become a problem - I'd advise you install Windows 95 then when you get a blue screean at about quitting time just pull the plug instead of the more normal 3 finger salute.

HTH

Comment

Does the PC shut down OK if you boot it in safe mode ??

Comment

> Any bright ideas?

How about doing a couple of minutes research on the manufacturers website. Given this is MS it is unlikely to help but you never know.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315409&sd=tech

Comment

Working...
            X