• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foul file deletion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortran Rules
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Anyways, getting back to the point: was there any kind of program with a backup utility on the machine? Many DOS programs made backups by changing the last letter of the filename. This sounds like a likely scenario: maybe finger trouble and they made the whole disk a backup, and then they kindly deleted everything to try and cover the first mistake?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

First used Clipper in a Gvt dept - they have still got it !
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Either way you probably screwed up all forensics there so what exactly happened will probably never be established. This is just a reminder that undelete is not a substitution for a good backup strategy that should be regularly tested by restoring data into cloned machine to see if backups actually work.
          Yep, how many times have you seen companies that religiously run backups.....but never actually test that the data can be restored???...

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
            Yep, how many times have you seen companies that religiously run backups.....but never actually test that the data can be restored???...
            The WORN backup strategy.

Write Once, Read Never.

™®© Sysman.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Anyways, getting back to the point: was there any kind of program with a backup utility on the machine? Many DOS programs made backups by changing the last letter of the filename. This sounds like a likely scenario: maybe finger trouble and they made the whole disk a backup, and then they kindly deleted everything to try and cover the first mistake?
              The accounts program was Pegasus (to run in Dos)
              The Database I can't remember the name of off hand, but they were stand alone programs with separate Backup facilities.?

I was going to download the op system & prog files on to an ext hard drive to study at a later date, but they were worried that I might download confidential patient info!
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
              X