• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EasyGen 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EasyGen 2

Mrs. Fiddle dreamed up another website idea.

Not one that will make me a billionaire but if successful should contribute further to my internet earnings. Trouble is after producing umpteen php/mysql sites I don't enjoy doing it anymore and just look upon it as a chore so I'm looking for some sort of RAD system to speed it up.

I've come across a product called EasyGen 2 which appears to have some decent reviews www.easygen.com Now it's a bit of a longshot but I'm just wondering if anybody here has come across this and if they have any comments about it - I'm wondering if it's as useless as all those "Arcade Game Creator" programs from the past or if it really does offer some shortcuts to producing a data driven website.

looks a bit toy-town.

always wary of these things. in my experience, nothing has ever produced what i'd consider to be commercial code. besides, they take a lot of setting up and usually introduce their own particular brand of shackles. sticking all content in tables is overkill with performance consequences for most sites. the myth of maintainability usually explodes come the first re-design which is usually before you even get to production.

best is a previous site you've done. if done well, it should be a morning's work to transform it into another. alternatively of course, .not would have you up and running in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail with a commercial, robust, scalable and maintainable site to die for.

Comment

Re: EasyGen

There is a proud declaration on the easygen site that it was generated with easygen.

Enough said I think.

Comment

Re: EasyGen

Cosmetics don't matter - they can be fixed.

It's a question of how flexible it is and if the code and db generated are robust. Even efficiency is not terribly important - if I got enough traffic to worry about that I'd be able to pay a coding monkey to rewrite it.

Comment

my way

I prefer to develop my own set of good objects that can be reused. Most database driven sites have a handful of templates that just pull data from database and display it. IMO deciding how template will look is much harder than actually coding it.

Comment

Re: my way

AtW hath spoken. Amen.

Comment

Working...
            X