• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

searching for spyware

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

searching for spyware

Can anyone recommend a good spyware and parasite detector and crusher?

I've not had my laptop for a day yet, and I've already found something called Internet Optimizer that is trying to link to the net. I can't delete it or remove it.

I tried searching the bulletin board for "spyware", but I've found since coming on this board that the search never returns anything, whether I specify subject or body or both. Does anyone know what it searches, exactly?

Why search here when there's Google? Quite a few free spyware removers around. Spybot, Adaware are both free, Webroot free but with update subscription. Both last two seem to find much more than Spybot.

Comment

spycatcher

Microsoft's free one seems to be flavour of the month. I've got it and it seems to do its thing quite inconspicuously, having initially turfed up about a dozen suspected e-snitching programs.

Comment

Re: Why search here when there's Google?

Quite sensibly, he'd sooner trust recommendations from here than unknown (to him) sources on the web where he probably got the parasites from in the first place.

Comment

Re: Why search here when there's Google?

> Quite sensibly, he'd sooner trust recommendations from here

.. as he's a newbie that makes sense

Lavasoft Adaware is free and not bad. I downloaded the free MS spyware detector and it whirred and clicked a while and came up with....

nothing

yep - nothing, nada, zilch

I fear I must be leading a sheltered life and missing out on all the good sites that will load me up with spyware

No idea what the product is you've found trying to connect. Google gives a url www.internet-optimizer.com/ but the webwasher software here doesn't like it...

Forbidden
          You were denied access because:
          Access denied by WebWasher DynaBLocator content category. The requested URL belongs to the following category: Computer Crime.
          .. but it seems to be less than friendly according to www.doxdesk.com/parasite/InternetOptimizer.html which also seems to contain some removal instructions.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. I downloaded three:

1. the MS one (called Giant or something)
            2. Ad-aware
            3. Spybot.

I ran them in that order, and although MS found and removed a lot of stuff, Ad-aware still found some left over, and even after removing those Spybot then noticed a few more. I forgot to check whether they got rid of Internet Optimizer.

Next time I'll run them in different orders to see whether any are redundant, but I'm guessing they each have their specialities.

I cannot believe how much stuff had got into my machine in the few hours I'd had it (from new), even with firewalls.

Comment

Giant/MS

Just have to add a vote for the MS offering.

I actually subscribed to Giant before MS bought them out & it's been excellent. Conversely to yourself I found that it turned up quite a few baddies that Adaware (which I really liked) never found. Between the MS firewall, the MS anti-spyware and a free AV product like AntiVir Guard you can protect yourself for nowt these days.

F.

Comment

Re: Giant/MS

One thing I did notice with the MS one is that it has an autoupdate - frequently lets me know that it has received updated definitions.

Comment

You poor, poor, poor, poor people!

Comment

Of course the other solution is to get castrated, dress in latex, and buy a Mac

Comment

Working...
                    X