• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Host required for ASP and MS Access database - ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Host required for ASP and MS Access database - ??

Have developed a web application with ASP and MS Access. Having tested it on a free ASP host (with advert pop-ups) I now require to host the application .asp pages and Access database. My current host only supports SQL and not MS Access and I am therefore shopping around. Can anyone recommend a decent, reliable host that costs under GBP50/yr (US$75)? I will probably leave my website with my current host but will host the application and database on the asp host. I have seen that web-hotsing.uk.com are offering what I need for GBP19/yr - anyone used them?

Or should I forget Access and go down the SQL route?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks, Piers

i'm sure that

if you gave us all a peek of your app the members here would be more than happy to give you the benefit of their extensive wisdom & comprehensive experience.

Comment

Re: i'm sure that

Well thats a first, normally people want to go the other way around.

Personally unless you are expecting extremely low traffic/DB access i would go with SQL (presume mean MsSQL and not MySQL).

Access if fine (maybe even better than MsSQL) for low traffic/small database sites but as soon as out of that area you rapidly start to notice the benefits of MsSQL

Converting your site to use MsSQL (or even MySQL) should be a piece of cake and if you already have a host that includes MsSQL i would be inclined to convert the site to use it.

Comment

ASP / MsAccess Hosting

Hi

Donhost are good. Are you connecting using a DSN or DSNLess connection ? Shouldn't make too much of a difference, but some hosters don't allow DSN connections. I would also check what versions of Access the hosting company support. I know someone who recently took on a dedicated server from fasthosts, cost £2500 and its complete crap. P2 400 mhz running windows 2000 and an older version of Access / DOA

Definately recommend Donhost though

Cheers

Mickster

Comment

Re: ASP / MsAccess Hosting

Swap to MySql. Used Access to test our site, but once implemented it didnt work properly so we changed it to MySql.

Comment

Working...
          X