• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET 3.0 - Microsoft Workflow Foundation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.NET 3.0 - Microsoft Workflow Foundation

Does anybody have any experience / knowledge of this?

I am up for an interview tomorrow with this being a major component that they want to use on a new software project. They are aware I am lacking somewhat in this department.

I can find loads of resources / documentation saying what it's for, how great it is, how it will solve the world but I am wanting to get some info from someone who has used it (and therefore has come across those little issues that you only ever find out once you use it) rather than the marketing hype.

Thanks.

Sounds like you want to blag your way in.

I like your style.

Comment

Hi, the big difference between WPF and standard Windows Forms design is that it separates the Controls functionality with the Appearance. By downloaded 'Orcas' from Microsoft this allows you to directly code WPF Applications seamlessly from Visual Studio 2005.

Alternatively using XAMLPad you can code simple XAML (XML Application Markup Language) Applications. It allows the use of Images, Video, Audio all under one umbrella.

WPF or Avalon as it was formerly known is incorporated within .NET 3 formerly WinFX. The other benefit is that it utilises DirectX directly from the Graphics card, speedier and not reliant on GDI or GDI+.

Simple applications can be generated in minutes. The underlying .NET 3 is built into the Vista operating system but the Framework can be downloaded for Windows XP SP2.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask any further questions

Comment

Thanks for the reply Solent.

It all sounds great, although where have we heard "applications in minutes" before!

What are the problems/challenges you have faced when using WPF - is it lack of resources on the web, peer skills shortage etc.?

Glad of any feedback.

Comment

WF and WPF are two separate entities with .Net 3.0, if I'm reading it right. As solent rightly pointed out, WPF separates the UI from the rest of .NET. Workflow Foundation however is more akin to BizTalk (I think) so I'd be looking down this road if its WF that the client is looking for. Myself and another contractor are looking to steer our current client towards using WF within the next few months hopefully, so atm have no tips and tricks to hand over.

Comment

Working...
          X