• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USB printer keeps going AWOL on win2k PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB printer keeps going AWOL on win2k PC

My new Lexmark X75 printer is plugged into a USB port of my win2000 PC. On just about a daily basis though the PC 'loses' the printer and I have to reboot, or unplug and replug the printer so that it can find it again. This also involves having to log in as admin so that I have enough rights to 'instal new hardware' (yet again).>:

Anyone had a problem with ostensibly correctly installed USB devices 'disapearing' on a win2k PC, and what did you do to fix it?

Athough completely ignorant in such matters, it sounds like a driver problem to me. Have you check the Lexmark site for patches etc?

Comment

Could be the USB cable. If it is dodgy it could be losing the signal. Try a new cable and make sure it is not too long.

Comment

Yes I have had problems with a couple of USB devices going AWOL on Win 2K, after an upgrade from 98 SE despite the companies claiming that the drivers were in Win2K's driver base and no drivers were needed. Not Lexmark or printers though.

Bollocks to all PCs and operating systems. Still trying to find the answers on help boards.

Comment

Open the Device Manager in System Properties.

Open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Right Click on each controller in turn.

Select Scan for Hardware Change

That will force the OS to check the printer is there.

The problem might be down to either the Device or the USB driver - check to ensure there isn't an update for both Windows 2000 (Internet Explorer - Tools - Windows Update) & the Printer driver (manufacturers website).

It could also be down to the USB version supported by your PC. Newer ones support USB2.0, whereas older PCs only support a lower revision number, and your printer might be a lot newer than your PC.

Comment

Oh, um, wait a minute - isn't there something called USB OTG for plugging printers directly into cameras? I read that you should be able to use the PC as well with that tho'...

Best check out your USB's mate...

Comment

Lexmark Printers are tulipe.

I have had exactly the same problem using a Lexmark X73, scanner, printer and photocopier. But I have used it with more than one operating system.

It constantly loses the connection, making me reboot and constantly asks for the software to be rebooted.

I used it on three machines and bought a new USB cable, even though a seperate scanner always works.

I am of the opinion that the Lexmark X73 printer is just plain pants and will be selling it, nay giving it away, at a car boot sale in the next week.

Sh1t.>:

Comment

Re: Lexmark Printers are tulipe.

yes, I reckon Lexmark should shift some resources from engineering the product, and their marketing, to making them work!
                I have a horrible suspicion that they may be taking the M$ route to riches by letting the customer debug MK1.0 of the product (saves $$$£££ions as it transfers the cost to the user).

Meanwhile: the X75 works if I log in as Admin with full rights. But not as User. Buggatie. Sounds like a crappy driver to me.

Comment

what did I say? (Check out the Lexmark website - they have got a patch for it...)

Comment

Not sure they have actually, their website gives 1.0.5.0 as the driver ver num wherehas the driver on my PC (printer purchased this month) is ver 1.0.6.0.

I think LexMark printers are very good, the X75 is a great all in one scanner/printer/photocopier (saves desk space big time), but why oh why oh why oh why do IT cos f@kc up the product in niggly little ways by cost paring on QA and usability issues.
                    Pay attention to the DETAILS you idiots!
                    Spoiling a ship for a happ'orth of tar.

Comment

Working...
                    X