• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Adsense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Adsense

reynolds had a DNS question a while back and mentioned Google Adsense

They serve targeted text ads on your site and you get paid on clickthoughs (unforunately only in US dollars at the moment).

I've been serving ads on some of my websites for a few years now - most offer commision only but I do have some pay-per-click programs too. In general I've been getting about 0.3% clicks/serves and earning modest amounts of income. I joined the Adsense program and replaced some of my banners on KwikBreaks with the google ads - the click through percentage is way up - I'm seeing 2.3% average and they are all pay-per-click.

If anybody is serving ads I'd recommend you take a look at the program.

I was a little disappointed that you can't serve very small single boxes (as they do on google itself) and the targetting for one of my pages was way off but overall I'm very impressed. As it's winter and KwikBreaks is a campsite directory I just missed the £30 minimum payout for January so I'll have to run the old banners a couple of days or so to hit that but once that is secured I'll be google adsense and amazon only.

hahaha fiddle, was it not you who dismissed my words about AdSense program? :lol

oh yeah friend, mind that it is against Google's T&Cs to publish _any_ performance stats

Comment

You were talking about Ad Words not Ad Sense.

Ad Sense is called AD Sense because it makes sense for webmasters to serve them - all CTC and (apparently) have high click through rate.

Ad Words OTOH are called Ad Words because they are used by people who are all mouth about how much traffic they get but don't have a clue how to get it without paying.

My warning on Ad Words still stands - you will be paying highly for your traffic and cannot guarantee a decent conversion rate to sales. It may happen but I personally wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Comment

no I was talking about AdSense well before AdWords, I posted it right after Google introduced it saying that it (in my view) has potential. Apparently its not working too well actually, interesting that your figures (so far) are not too bad.

i aint betting everything on adwords - I have some hooks with relevant communities of people who buy software and I am a prominent speaker there

Comment

I tried ad-words for about a month - cost us a fortune with absolutely no return whatsoever.

Personally, I think people use them simply to check out the opposition.

The secret is ---- ah well, if I knew that I'd be a rich man too!

Comment

its all about a function of f(clicks * conversion * margin) > cost

Comment

> I am a prominent speaker there

now why doesn't that surprise me

Well my % click on adwords has dropped to 0.9% but that's because they are on most pages now and some pages will be better for clicks than others obviously.

The targetting is a little off on some pages too - I'll do a little work on what the bot sees on those pages then maybe it will do better. Payout is up by a fair margin on the banners which now only serve as an alternate to the public service ones which don't pay.

Comment

> Well my % click on adwords has dropped to 0.9%

you mean AdSense? :b

you should really read up more on these forums - www.webmasterworld.com/

almost all of them free but you need to register, its well worth it

Comment

I get enough amusement reading posts from know-nothing fcukwits here thanks.

I well remember your advice that what I was doing would be the kiss of death for my seach engine ranking.

When I showed you it about #2 or #3 on google on one of the common search terms you then suggested it would only show up on that one.

Well now it's on a new server and I get some better stats as they just report on the server log content - February so far shows visitors using 537 different keyphrases and finding the site. :rollin

Comment

err just because they did not catch you does not mean they wont in the future, its take a thief who had beginners luck and felt that he got away with it - yes in _that_ case, but we all know for whom the bell tolls, bet you don't even know the significance of that phrase my young foolish friend

Comment

Working...
                    X