• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problem with WebBrowser control in VB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with WebBrowser control in VB

I have a web page which displayed real(ish) time data updating at 6 second intervals. Client side JS runs which refreshes an XML Data Island to obtain data which is then displayed both as standard textual data and graphical data (using VML). This all works fine and has done for a few years now.

We also have a suite of displays written in VB which are kicked off from a launcher style display. I have added a new display which comprises nothing else but a WebBrowser control. When launched this navigates to the earlier described web page and works a treat.

However .....
    When I close down the VB page with the WebBrowser control the whole application crashes with an Access Violation about 30 seconds later.

I have have tried using a different web page which is purely static and do not experience the same problem. It appears to be related to the client side JS.

Any ideas ?

Try using META refresh and avoid using any JavaScript and VML - generate HTML server side.

Comment

Moved away from Meta Refresh as this resulted in a full page redraw. At a 6 second refresh this was very irritating.

The whole application is geared around the use of VML to generate the graphical data and the JS to provide the 'flicker free' updates so I can't see there being much support to remove JS and VML.

Intend to start and hack bits out of the web page to see if I can home in on which part needs to be there to get the problem.

Comment

Hacked out all JS and left a single VML element in.

Problem still occurs. Remove the single VML element and display what is effectively just a blank page and all OK. :\

* edited to correct typo

Comment

6 second refresh because your server side software is so slow generating it or what?

Comment

6 second refresh because that is the scan rate of the signals we are graphing.

Fixed the problem anyway - looks like good ol' Microsoft have come across it and released a patch just over a week ago.

Stuck the patch on and all fine now.

Pleased to see the back of this problem - we've suffered on and off with this for a year or so now.

Comment

well, good for you - i am suprised it affected browser tho because IE is one fine piece of work by MSFT (ignoring security issues).

Comment

Link to KB article for anyone who is interested

support.microsoft.com/def...bid=827799

Comment

Working...
                X