• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limiting disk/file cache on Windows XP/Longhorn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limiting disk/file cache on Windows XP/Longhorn

Anyone knows how to do it? It seems that there is no option at all to limit that memory grabby file cache to say max of X MB.

Originally posted by AtW
    Anyone knows how to do it? It seems that there is no option at all to limit that memory grabby file cache to say max of X MB.
    Is you talking about the swap file?

If so, right-click My Computer - Properties

it's somewhere in there.

Comment

It should be under properties of my computer, advanced tab and then in enviroment variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Barriebazg
        It should be under properties of my computer, advanced tab and then in enviroment variables.

Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Click the Settings button on Performance -> Click Advanced Tab -> Click the Change button on Virtual Memory

Comment

No - I am talking about dynamic file cache (shown as System Cache) in task manager in Performance Tab - say right now it shows I got total of 2 GB of RAM, but 1.2 GB is available, and whopping 1.1 GB is used for system cache - I want to limit system cache on server because I have got fine tuned file caching in my big application.

It looks like there is no way to limit it ffs, can't believe they did not provide maximum value for it

Comment

Try this - I would hazard a guess it will work with w2k but not sure about w2k3:

http://tinyurl.com/3cfapr

Comment

Just tried - it does not work I am afraid: system cache declared by the task manager is a LOT bigger than shown by this utility.

Comment

Working...
              X