• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PowerPC 750fx - very slow problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IBM...?

the point is that x86 has won it - test of time shown that the choices and sacrifices that Intel made 25 years ago paid back very nicely. Mainstream software compatibility is valued by consumers far more that nice looks of Apple - I respect Jobs a lot and I wish I was like him but with all that due respect I am damn grateful he did not lock the whole world into his closed way of thinking - remember, they have monopoly on making Apple Computers, something that doomed him to niche market.

Comment

But then again, Apple are still making Macs...

IBM...

Comment

the only companies that really make moneyin x86 space is Intel + add-on manufacturers (gfx cards, hard drives), but PC asselmlers which is what Apples does - are working on razor thin margins. Who wants to be in that business? IBM does not and i cant blame them.

Comment

Somewhere or other I have a utility for converting 8080 code to 8086 code.

Dread to think what the resulting code looks like though.

IBM shot themselves in the foot with MicroChannel and the PS series.

Comment

true microchannel was a failure, but more monumental failure of IBM was to recognize that low cost producers like Compaq will have their day. It was real shame to see Compaq go as it was them who freed BIOS and allowed low cost production of PCs.

Comment

Working...
            X