• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please help me get my itunes from damaged laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me get my itunes from damaged laptop

Hi,
    Not sure if i am posting to the correct place but here goes......
    I have (did have) a Samsung P28 laptop which i dropped, the screen is now not viewable. I have bought a new laptop Advent 7113.
    All i want to do is get my itunes libary ( abot 1000 tracks)from my old laptop onto my new one. I have tried plugging in my Ipod to my old laptop to see if it picked the music up but nothing happened and a the screen is damaged i cant see what im doing.
    Is there some sort of adaptor i can buy? Surely there is. Please tell me there is!
    A local computer shop says they will do it for £20-25 but looking on ebay there seems to be some adaptors for a few pounds, whether they are what i need i dont know?
    Hope someone can come to my rescue
    Thanks Kelly
    Last edited by princess; 11 May 2007, 20:29.

Originally posted by princess
    Hi,
    Not sure if i am posting to the correct place but here goes......
    I have (did have) a Samsung P28 laptop which i dropped, the screen is now not viewable. I have bought a new laptop Advent 7113.
    All i want to do is get my itunes libary from my old laptop onto my new one. I have tried plugging in my Ipod to my old laptop to see if it picked the music up but nothing happened and a the screen is damaged i cant see what im doing.
    Is there some sort of adaptor i can buy? Surely there is. Please tell me there is!
    A local computer shop says they will do it for £20-25 but looking on ebay there seems to be some adaptors for a few pounds, whether they are what i need i dont know?
    Hope someone can come to my rescue
    Thanks Kelly
    ITunes give you one chance to re-downlaod everything. Email them and they will let you download all the items you have paid for providing they are still selling them.
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Hi thanks for your quick reply but i only purchased about 8 songs from them the rest were my own cds that i put onto my ipod, thanks anyway for that info.

Thanks Kelly

Comment

Try connecting your laptop to a monitor (or tv if it has a pc input)

You'll be able to see what you're doing then

Comment

Hey great idea but i may sound stupid but what sort of wires will i need, what do they look like?
          Thank you

Kelly

Comment

I do have a usb port on my televison

kelly.

Comment

In your old laptop you will probably have a 2.5 inch IDE drive which may still be ok. Buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dynamode-2-5-U...QQcmdZViewItem

When you get the drive caddie, take out the drive from your old laptop and follow instructions to insert into the caddie..then plug the usb cable into the caddie and new laptop.......there ya go

This will only work if the drive is ok though and same O/S...ie windows and windows rather than windows/mac windows/linux...thats a whole other story

good luck

Comment

Thanks so much i will try this if i dont mage to conect it to my tv as all i really need is the songs no ther data, thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by princess
                  I do have a usb port on my televison

kelly.
                  If you have a monitor, attach its video plug into the video output socket on your laptop (this socket normally has a blue coloured interface)

Next, check your laptop users manual; most laptops have an [Fn] key which you can hold down and press another key to activate a particular function. On most laptops, the ability to change the video output from laptop screen to the video output socket is usually achieved by holding down the [Fn] button and pressing one the the function keys (i.e. [F1] to [F12]. The key you need usually has a screen symbol on it, but like I said, the correct [F] key depends on the make of laptop.

Once you cracked that, your monitor will act as the laptop's screen.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have sorted it, i used a 15 pin lead from an old Monitor and put it in the back of my up old laptop to it. Yey!!!
                    Now im Just having problems transferring my ipod to my new libary on new laptop but this is a differnt story!

I Hate Computers

Thanks everyone for all your help

xxxx

Comment

Working...
                    X