• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux and Windows 98

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux and Windows 98

Whats the easiest and quickist way of turning my PC into a dual-boot system. It currently runs Windows 98, and I want to install Linux Red Hat 9 along side it. Where can I download Red Hat and get a guide on how to install with Windows?

Linux comes with either Grub or LILO, both of which enable dual booting.

With a 56k dial up, I've never downloaded a distro but there are often cover disks out there with a full install.

Comment

You can buy these disks for 5 or 6 pounds. The CDs from the original vendor may cost from $40 onwards.
      www.linux.org
      Look for software vendors at the above site.

Comment

Mandrake can also be installed to run under Windows. Probably slower, I did not actually try that option, but if you simply want to check out Linux rather than do heavy stuff with it that might be worthwhile and it saves the considerable hastles of partitioning. If you do partition, Mandrake also comes with Boot Magic, you do not need to use Lilo.

Comment

Try SuSE

Suse is a nice distro from Germany. They have got excellent tech support and comes bundled with lots of software. The cd contains the software that partitions the disk for you.

Comment

Re: Try SuSE

Aye, I'd agree, use suse, I find the hardware support is more up-to-date than say Red Hat. Or maybe it detects new hardware better.....

Install Win98 first, or it'll crap over LILO/Grub.

Have fun,
            RS

Comment

re

thanks y'all and big up the open source movement mofos

Comment

Re: Suse

The latest SuSE version 9.0 will be out on 24 October. You may like to wait for that.

Comment

Working...
                X