• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net application architectures...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: .Net Architecture best practices

A good post on the subject.

I think there is not a "one size fits all" solution.

Also you are coming up against the relational - object mismatch that occurs when you try to bolt on a pure OO middle layer to a highly normalised relational back end.

For web apps it makes more sense to forget pure OO layers and make it much more procedural, stateless and scalable.

Personally I am a very good T-SQL programmer and concentrate all the business logic in complex SP's with error handling.

The BO layer is then nothing more than a transport mechanism between the presentation layer (usually ASP.NET databinding and custom controls)

This makes the .NET code thin and performance very good with well written SQL (I NEVER use cursors!) and correctly indexed tables (and views).

As for business rules (e.g. validation) if you put in the front end GUI you get responsive apps (don't need a round trip to validate data) but a maintenance problem. If you bury it ALL in the middle/back end, then every validation reqiures a round trip. You choose.

Just my tuppence worth,

DP.

Comment

Re: .Net Architecture best practices

The best vb/sql server developer I've ever worked with uses the same architecture - huge complex sp's and very little code anywhere else.

The next version of visual studio.net will iron out the few disadvantages with this architecture. You'll be able to write sp's in vb/c# and manage and maintain them from within the IDE.

For GUI stuff, I rely heavily on the Infragistics .Net controls.

I havn't done a webforms/asp.net project yet, but maybe in my next contract.

Comment

.Net application architectures...

using complex procs for the business rules usually gives excellent performance up to a point but if you
        ever need scalability then the BR's have got to be in the middle tier running under com+

where using application centre you can setup component load balancing and then if performance is a
        problem just add another box, this is the way .NET arch. needs to go to compete with J2EE on large enterprise apps....

Comment

Why can't you use SQL Server clustering, federated databases, partitioned data and materialised views to increase performance?

I know what you are saying, but manipulating 100,000,000 rows of data on the middle tier is never going to run quickly even with 100 .Net middle tier servers.

Don't even suggest passing gigabytes of data between tiers using XML web services....

Comment

Working...
          X