• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.net event handling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i don't think

cheers dp! anyway, i got it working on a testbed. passed the event via the delegate from a dynamically loaded control up to the host file and bingo! i think maybe my problem might lie in the template class i have set up for the site. every page inherits this class. i'll need to check to see if the event handling is being skewed because of this.

Comment

anything too smart on client side of a web page often has consequences that author of that code never thought of like:
      * search engines, PDAs etc can't browse your site
      * URLs are too long or POST requests are used - this kills web log stats
      * a .net install or activex required on client side

Upside of having .NET on your CV with "proper" way of doing it (what do you know about developing websites?) may well be downside of having poorly performing sites.

Comment

atw, I think you are confused regarding ASP.NET.

It is a server technology that generates client side HTML and JavaScript. It has nothing to do with client side technologies such as ActiveX, ******s etc.

The events that ScotsPine wanted to chain together we server side. In ASP.NET, a client interaction on the browser often causes a postback to the server, where events are raised in the .Net code.

See www.asp.net/whitepaper/whyaspnet.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

and

msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon/html/vbconWebFormsEventModel.asp

This separation of client content from the programming model frees the ASP.NET developer from the drudgeries of web development. Creating a web app is a piece of cake (usually) and the results can be viewed by any browser on any platform (ish!)

Hope this helps.

Comment

not so far - excessive postings increase load on server - you really need to post only once - once form is filled. Also, if I remember correctly when you use .net "proeprly" then URL get lots of crap in it while posting - ie its a long URL with .net data right?

Well, excessive URLs may force you use POSTs which would affect stats gathered by logs and also if I remember correctly .net will use javascript to encode or even encrypt lots of params into URL before submitting - making analysis even harder, if possible with standard tools.

You see DimPrawn, the hard thing is not to create webpage with some data forms, the hard thing is actually to create a GOOD page that is both user, analysis and search engine friendly - this maximizes its usage and results in higher traffic and conversions.

hope that helps

P.S. If you could kingly find me site on the Net that uses all these fancy .net things then I will be able to be more specific about issues

Comment

take a look at:

www.asp.net/Forums/default.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=39

which is a ASP.NET forum written in ASP.NET and:

www.asp.net/IBS_Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx

which is a portal written in ASP.NET

Comment

both look good to me - i wonder where longs URLs and God awful javascript appeared, hmmmm... we've been doing some grids associatd with data selected from database with ability to click on it to drill down.

perhaps i should stfu and praise .net - after all you make more money than me using it.

Comment

grids with drill downs take about 5 mins in .net hows about drill downs, hierachical nested grids and 3-d pie charts reporting/presentation on the fly with click throughs? all in 10 mins? all from sql server (or other) via stored procs and data access layer? compiled? on web? stand alone? both?

Comment

there are free Open Source tools that help do that sort of reporting - its as easy as taking a bunch of data and throwing it at chart drawer - www.raxnet.net/products/cacti/
                  and there are others.

in the last 4 years of working on various reports I have come to conclusion that 90% of time spent on carefully deciding what should be reported - getting data, cleaning it, transforming for fast querying etc - rather than actually coding bit that would display table/chart.

it is good if .net can do it easily, but personally I've weighted pro and cons and came to conclusion that for a small startup firm using .net would force me to use other Microsoft stuff and as the result would put burden on company with little revenues - i will allow a year before getting _any_ revenues.

Comment

everything i've mentioned and most other stuff can be done without spending a cent. - apart from the database -but there are drivers for mysql etc...

Comment

well Visual Studio is not free, innit? How good OLE DB Drivers for MySQL?

Personally I still opt for Perl/PHP - it runs fine on Unix and can run well on Windows, so I can cover all clients, where as .net will only cover Windows shops.

Comment

Working...
                      X