• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Widoze 2000 Server SP4 = BSOD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widoze 2000 Server SP4 = BSOD

I upgraded my Domain Server to SP4 and I keep getting a BSOD when the boot reaches the login screen. the cause of the crash seems to change here are 3 of them

stop: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x8041FB87, 0x00000000, 0x0000006C)
    KMADE_EXECPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    address 8041FB87 base at 804000000, datestamp 3ee6c002 - ntoskrnl.exe

stop: 0x000000C5 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8046B689)
    address 8046B6897 base at 804000000, datestamp 3ee6c002 - ntoskrnl.exe

stop: 0x0000000A(0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x8042 DE20) IRQL_NOTLESS_OR_EQUAL
    address 8042DE20 base at 804000000, datestamp 3ee6c002 - ntoskrnl.exe

I can boot to safe mode

I have tried to uninstall the SP but it was not backed up.. from what I have read the problem seems to be a driver issue I have tried to start Backup Exec in Safe mode to restore the AD but it says it cant authenticate the account ??

But I don't think the backup will work as the backup came after the SP was installed

any advice ?

thanks

bsod

Whats the hardware spec ?

I vaguely remember something about this being a common problem - things not installed in 'correct' order ?

have you looked in msdn ?

( oh and dont apply untested microsoft updates to a live system without being able to back out or restore)

Do you have a second controller you can promote ?

Comment

Lots of internet forums with the same sorts of issues.

From what I can gather, the application of SP4 can affect some device drivers, effectively causing that piece of hardware to no longer work in your system.

Would suggest you try removing all non-essential cards and peripherals and try a different video card if you have one.

Also remove memory if you can so that it has only a little and see if it boots.

Always do a ghost type image BEFORE applying patches and service packs. Some of them destroy the OS, but MS don't like to mention that fact!

Good luck mate.

Comment

Perhaps they should have a little message

"Thankyou for pressing the Self Destruct Button"....

Best of luck.

Comment

:x

Comment

Thanks for the input Guys... On your advice started disabling the device drivers and it was the Proliants network card..

Did new drivers for that and did a chkdsk and reinstalled SP4, and it seems a bit stable...

after the problem was solved there were a few configeration issues with the Anti Virus and other things

We are in the Education sector so we don't have spare servers and such

Comment

run it on a retired workstation, not prototyping costs more money!

Comment

I have SP4 working fine on about 50% of the Windoze workstation on site, the other 50% are SP3, before i attempted the server SP..

one of the reasons why I don't have SP4 on all workstation ... is that after a workstation has has the blaster worm, installing SP4 just puts into a reboot cycle.. no BSOD no Logon... about 20% into the loading Windoze.. ....... reeboot

Comment

oh right, not come across that, useful info.

Comment

Working...
                  X