• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goddam firefox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddam firefox

I suppose it isn't going to go away. Anybody come across a full list of HTML/jscript incompatibilities with IE on the net?

Re: Firefox

I replaced rant with a query as I thought I should be more positive and try to get the things working. At moment I am just fixing one problem and moving on to next and wondered if anyone had any info so I can gauge what I still need to do.

Note these are complex interactives not normal websites.sample It only took me five minutes to get my order forms working in firefox.

You obviously missed my rant maximus. Indeed, that is what I would like to do if I could afford to do so. As far as I am concerned, the accepted standard should be set by commercial considerations and that means conforming to methods used by the most commonly used browser, ie IE, not some geeky definitions. Assuming the added methods are actually useful and are not a security problem, that is.

Comment

Re: Validate Site

Try this:

validator.w3.org/

Comment

Re: Validate Site

Cheers JS. Unfortunately, it has left me even more depressed than ever as hardly any of my HTML lines are "correct", although most errors are the same one over and over due to leaving out unecessary quotes.

In general, I would say the exact HTML 4.01 standard is so limited that anyone would be hard put to do anything serious without IE 4 additions. It does not even seem to be possible to specify if a page is scrollable or not and why does IMG have to have an ALT if a text alternative would be quite pointless? Fortunately, other modern browsers do not seem to be quite that restrictive.

Comment

the accepted standard should be set by commercial considerations and that means conforming to methods used by the most commonly used browser, ie IE, not some geeky definitions.
          Would agree 100% if MS was not part of the consultation that formed those standards and agreed to them.

I take it you were not designing in the 90's when MS was not the most commonly used browser, the "geeky definitions" were a designers only hope of having "cutting edge" cross browser compatible sites and the heartache designers would suffer when both MS and netscape would break the rules constantly. Got to the point that i refused to touch java script ever again except in the most superficial manner plus you future proof your site better as the indications are future versions of IE are more likely to be more standards compliant rather than "microsoft compliant"

Best way to work these days is design for the mozilla engine (aka firefox) first and not IE, you have greater chance of everything working regardless of browser then (main exception being CSS layouts and higher JS fuctions due to IE having screwed up even their own definitions never mind someone else's)

Comment

Working...
          X