• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

64mb USB data key thingy thinks its a 1.4mb floppy!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run xp pro at home and when I plugged n played the data key into the usb port my pc seems to have designated it as a 1.4 meg floppy, plus my actual floppy drive has stopped working!

I took the data key to work and plugged it into my pcs usb port and the work pc also thinks its only got 1.4 meg of storage - it seems to have been 'formatted' by my home pc.

Anybody had the same issue? And how did you fix it?

:lol

Comment

I was also sold a 64mb USB key that thinks it is a floppy.

It's black, 5 mm thick and I plug this one into a 3.5 inch slot on the front of the computer.

Have I been robbed?

Comment

> Have I been robbed?

Only of your brains

Comment

Total guess - some come with a "password" routine (I immediately binned that from one I bought a while back because having the data is more important to me than the chance of someone using it if it got pinched) - to have a password routine I supposed it must have had the equivalent of the autorun.inf on CD's.

Is there any chance that it is running some piece of noddy software when you plug it in which is not working properly?

I'm assuming it's new - does it show any content (assuming you can read it). You don't need any drivers for these with win xp - I've used several on a number of machines and never had a problem.

Can you format it? Use FAT not NTFS on these things - I know FAT works but have no idea if NTFS does.

Failing all that bin it and buy another one

Comment

It's not password protected, and I have managed to get it to accept all 64 meg.
            Trouble is is that my floppy still doesn't work - or rather the PC seems to think it does in device manager, but when I put a floppy in it still tells me to insert a floppy. I think there must be a hardware clash introduced somewhere in XP so I'll do some googling to see if I can find a solution.
            Pain in the neck to have to do that though.

Comment

Working...
            X