• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorola v500 and bluetooth - anybody got it to work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorola v500 and bluetooth - anybody got it to work?

I have a Motorola v500 and it has bluetooth. What do I need to be able to get it to talk to my PC so that I can download photos and the address book. I'm new to bluetooth and guessing that I need some kind of reciever to plug into a slot or a USB port? Anybody done this and got it to work?

USB bluetooth dongle. About £20 from DABS.

Comment

re

Yeh. get a dongle and you should get interfacing software bundled with it. If you want to cook your own software interface you'll need a bluetooth stack. That's where I got stumped, but if you go down that route let us know.

Comment

Re: re

often bundled software is a pile of crock - in this case you might be better off finding free WindRiver's bluetooth vanilla drivers - they are pretty much the gold standard and everyone else is supposed to use them, just many do it very poorly.

Must say that bluetooth is much bigger pain in arse than WiFi - great in theory, poor (profile support) in practice.

Comment

Re: bluetooth

Carphone warehouse tried to flog me a bluetooth thingy that plugs into a USB port for £50 - but refused to guarantee that it would work with my phone! They also told me they don't do refunds, only credit notes, if it doesn't.
          The Orange shop just told me to go to carphone whorehouse as they don't sell data cables or bluetooth recievers for the moto v500. Mind you, photo messaging doesn't work either and their website needs about 1000 man years of usability testing on it.
          These guys should get jobs with microsoft.

The quest continues.

Comment

I got a USB bluetooth thing from PC World. (about £20 I think). You could probably get one cheaper from dabs etc.

Not exactly straightforward to use, but a bit of fiddling around and manual reading soon got it working.

Comment

> They also told me they don't do refunds, only credit notes,
              > if it doesn't

surely they do have X-days no quibble money back guarantee?

Comment

Nooo

TORNADO® provides the next evolutionary step in integrated development environments, a more visual, automated environment that makes creating applications on VxWorks® fast and easy for developers of all experience levels. pRISM+ 3 for pSOS® includes advanced core and optional development tools, plus the pSOS 3 real-time operating system.
                Looks like Nial will need a new name

Comment

bluetooth usb dongle thingy did the trick

...I got one for £17 from eclipse computers and plugged it into a USB port, installed the software, and lo and behold I can now download photos from my phone and upload wav files etc. Pity it's only got 5MB ram or I could use it as a walkman.

Unfortunately my PC can't see the phone/address book so I can't download that data, which is the main stuff I want to get to my PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X