• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

re

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re

Does anyone know how I can print out to the console on the same line using Java? ie. to show a percentage rising?

For example:
    System.out.println(pc) would do:

System.out.print(pc) would do:

But I want to keep it on the same line so I can only see one figure updating. Do I have to use backspace or something?

backspace was traditional Unix C technique to do what you want to do, I'd be amazed if they have not thought of it in Java

Comment

System.out.print("\b\b\b" + pc); // as many backspace characters as the max length of pc.

Comment

backspace was traditional Unix C technique to do what you want to do, I'd be amazed if they have not thought of it in Java
        curses

Comment

curses ?

God - I hated that. My first job we got a contract to convert some code from pascal to C, and it turned out the pascal had some homebrewed/hacked about version of curses in it.

The ONLY time I have ever used setjmp()

(well apart from the once to obscure what I was doing on a job for a consultancy that treated us like $£!^)

Comment

Re: curses ?

I always hated Pascal - I mean that piece of sh1t was designed for students in the first place, fking requirement to declare variables on top of the function sucked badly, but to be honest the real thing that always pissed me off was having to use := instead of = - I mean for fks sake! The whole language seemed to have been created to aid compiler - ie to make compiling fast, about the only thing PAscal was good about.

BURN IN HELL PASCAL I SAY!!!

Comment

Working...
            X