• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobbing Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobbing Laptop

Another of those - can you recommend requests!

Just looking for a basic laptop.

I don;t do power work. Mainly need it for Word processing, Excel (sometimes macros heavy), Project and powerpoint.

Not, as you can see, a developer. More a user.

Would I be mad to pick up something of ebay for a few hundred quid?

I wouldn't buy a laptop on eBay - the end prices are unrealistically high - esp. considering you have virtually no comeback.

Buy a copy of Micro Mart - there are several sellers of secondhand/surplus low spec laptops around who advertise in there. Can't remember exact names but a google for "sterling" and "morgan" with secondhand laptop and/or some other terms should bring the two up which I vaguely remember.

I might be buying a new laptop soon - a company called MultiVision used to offer good vfm but when I looked the other day they'd gone bust. Watford on www.savastore.com offer fair value too (on their own brand at least). If you look for one of the big names then most places (including even PC World and Comet) all seem to be within a few quid of each other.

Comment

I'm sure we could do something for you, check out my profile.

Comment

Medion, pick them up at your local Aldi. Never had so many different sockets to plug all sorts of different things in. Truely exceptional.

Comment

threaded. Is that sarcasm or a genuine comment?

Comment

re:jobbing laptop

I agree with fiddle about ebay - but I also think that sterling and morgan are not cheap. Remember that Tosh and IBM will both do yo ua machine for 600 with warranty etc. Lesser brands start at 500 ish Why pay 300 for a used pentium mmx or similar

Couldnt comment on the aldi machines - but I think I remember someone else mentioning them.

Try posting in general to see who has upgraded recently - might get a bargain.

Comment

Working...
            X