• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Broadband

What does the panel think of BT broadband - service, speed and cost?

I’m considering an offer by The Telegraph:

Free connection (BT standard price £30)
    Free modem (BT standard price £50)
    One month’s free rental (normally £28)

Well IMHO, I would put it just ahead of AOL in terms of quality.

The support is sh1te, and they do get shirty about you sharing your connection across more than one pc. The free modem will be a USB jobby, when you would be better off with a modem/router/hub jobby.

Have a look at Zen. I have no complaints with their service.

Disclaimer: The last time I had any conmtact with BT broadband was 12 months ago. They may have improved (but I doubt it).

Comment

I have two Broadband connections and am happy with both of them , fingers crossed, touch wood etc I have not had any problems at all so far after 3 months. BT themselves have been running some very good sign-up offers, check out their website.

I am only on baby Broadband - 512K as we are right at the edge of the range, but compared to my old Modem downloads it is pretty amazing !!!

Comment

if you have a choice then get Telewest Blueyonder - works a treat and 1-2mbit available.

Remember - BT are the worst big scum of them all who started clamp down on "unlimited" dial up plans by errr limiting them.

Comment

There are cheaper options which offer as good or better performance and service than all the major names (
          Freeserve, 2 varieties of BT, and AOL :x )

There is a comparitor at adslguide.org.uk/

Somebody I know uses Zen and says they are great - I use Freedom2Surf who have been fine after a hickup right at the start which I'm certain was a screwup by BT Wholesale when they did the activation.

Comment

recently moved to plusnet. 18.neufty neuf a month. brill service and fast too. get your own adsl modem/router, better gear. wireless? brill! surf from a deckchair.

Comment

deckchair ?

The weather in Scotland must have REALLY improved since my last visits. I did read the other day that the skiing biz was in trouble because of global warming, but I didnt realize that you had deckchair conditions !

Or is it just that this is the only time you can sit out without those damned midges eating you alive ?

BTW how are you finding the Samsung ? I bought a fujitsu which is OK, but nothing like as solid as my last one.

Mark

Comment

deckchair ?

yep - the deckchair is a bit of wishful thinking, especially since the end of october. brr.
                the samsung is doing well. i've stuffed it with all my dev environment, .not/sql server etc...and can sit in my ARMchair and surf although while i can share an internet connection, i can't seem to share directories across my network. 'networking for dummies' here i come.
                it's probably a bit flimsier than i would have liked though. when i compare it with other peoples', it def. is not too robust so i've decided not to take it on any ice climbing jaunts.

Comment

Re: deckchair ?

> i can't seem to share directories across my network

make sure you use the same workgroup - I think default for WinXP is MSHOME

Comment

Re: deckchair ?

checked that atw, ther were and still no joys. it kind of defeats the purpose of wireless and network when i have to run upstairs to get a copy of a file :\ ...but i'm working on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X