• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Laptop ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Laptop ?

Help please...

can anyone recommend a decent laptop for a decent price with the following spec:

Intel P4 ~3ghz

60gb hd

1gb ram

dvd rw

ms office and xp prof

I've priced the Dells and found:

Dell Inspiron above spec (.co.uk) £1,655.58 (incl. VAT)

Dell Inspiron above spec (.be) 2119,92 EUR (incl. BTW)
    [which is about 1470GBP]

Is there a site anywhere which explains how for different Ghz the Centurion and Mobile Pentium and Pentium 4 compare ?

Can anyone suggest any other branded laptops with similar spec for a better price ?

Does anyone know anything (bad) about Dell's reliability ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Dell may suck in regards to support/returns - some say its hell. If you want a laptop you should consider whether you need it to have good battery life - in this case you need to look at Centrino rather than desktop replacements like P4 3Ghz.

Compaq/HP are pretty good, avoid Sony - fkers look nice but they love using crappy video cards. If you don't need big brand then consider people like Asus -they may sound crap but they build things for people like Dell, HP, Compaq etc.

Comment

Medion, just check your local Aldi for availability.

Comment

Thanks

thanks for the feedback,

what about Acer ?

Milan.

Comment

Re: Thanks

When will you people learn not to buy PCs?

Comment

this is

typed from my samsung xo5 centrino-driven laptop, downstairs, by the fireside, without any wires/power attached. this is the 3rd evening on battery power. excellent stuff.

Comment

hmmm

Centrino ?

I want a laptop because I don't like how desktops take up so much room in a small flat, and also I may need to take the laptop to work from time to time.

But, saying that, I am not worried about battery life, I don't plan to work with it on the move and am happy to have the power plugged in all the time as I do with my existing laptop (Toshiba P4 1.6 ghz 256gb ram 30gb hd).

Bearing in mind I am not worried about battery life, I want the highest processing performance I can afford along with a big hard disk (60gb) and a lot of ram (1gb).

I want to be able to do desktop level processing this means run a database and a j2ee app server like BEA - hence the processor and ram requirement.

Seems quite hard to get a 1gb ram laptop - not often standard spec, and very pricey to add the extra 512 or 768 mb's of ram.

I am not clear on which ghz Centrino compares with which ghz Pentium 4 - does anyone know the answer ?

Also, how does the Page file as an extension to existing Ram compare to straight Ram ? For example I've seen Toshiba's P4 3ghz 60gb hd and 512mb Ram for good prices, and I was thinking I could get the extra 512 mb ram from the Page file - what does the jury think on this cheapskate solution ?

Thanks for feedback,

Milan.

Comment

What are the benefits of Mac conversion, OH?

Comment

benefits of Mac laptops ?

they are light and pretty and run unix, but the best of all is that you get to have new logic boards and screens fitted at regular intervals.

Check out the cost of warranty (AppleCare).

I keep looking at the macs but I just hear sooo many bad things about quality on the current ibook and powerbook ranges. eg One of the big mac magazines had to return 40% of their review laptops because of failures, massed complainants at the recent macexpo etc.

Milan - dont consider anything but a centrino.

Comment

> When will you people learn not to buy PCs?

Tell this to 98% of the market that does.

Comment

Working...
                    X